Chapter Four ~ The Thorns of a Rose

All Rights Reserved.

⤝O⤞

"Did you see how he handled that sword?"

"It was a spectacular sight!"

"I wish I gave my handkerchief to him instead!"

"Did you see that? He was looking at me!"

I almost scoffed at their words, and I didn't stop myself from rolling my eyes at their hypocrisy. Oh, so now they wanted to be all chummy with him!

Soon there were only three knights left from the twenty-five that had started. By now, the sun had begun to descend and it cast a red glow into the field. The three knights stepped out from the entrance and the audience began to howl for the upcoming battle.

This was the battle that everyone had been waiting for. It was a three-way battle, and it usually ended up with two knights ganging up on one knight to get rid of him before going against each other.

The remaining knights were the red knight, unfortunately, the silver knight, and the black knight. They stood in the middle of the arena, forming an intentional triangle.

Soon it was silent, and you could feel the tension in the air. When the trumpet was blown, the sound of swords being unsheathed pierced the air.

The silver knight struck first, aiming for the black knight, and I watched horrified as the red knight too also aimed for him. The sound of metal hitting and swords slashing filled the air of the stadium. I felt a twinge of anger at the sight of them ganging up on him.

But then I realized why.

The black knight was both stronger and handled his weapon more expertly, making him a huge threat to both the two knights. If they fought the black knight together, they saw it as a bigger chance for them to win then for them to battle him separately.

Everyone seemed to be holding their breath as the black knight battled both the silver and red knight. The black knight held them off well, and I couldn't help the small grin on my face.

He hit the silver knight with the bottom of the sword before thrusting his sword in the face of the red knight, who blocked it with his battle axe. I couldn't lie, the red knight was a decent fighter but I could tell the silver knight was slowly getting tired.

I wasn't surprised when he fell and didn't get back up again. The battle was halted and one of the squires helped the silver knight out of the arena. After a minute or two, the battle commenced and both knights circled each other.

The red knight made the first move, raising his battle axe and bringing it down on the black knight. The black knight stopped it with his sword and put himself on the defense. He stopped every blow the red knight delivered and slowly the red knight's moves became sloppy.

The black knight jumped into the offense and struck with a heavy force, making the red knight drop his battle axe. The red knight now only had his shield in his hands as a weapon for defense.

The black knight easily overtook him, bringing his sword hard against the shield. The red knight fell to the ground on his back and had a sword aimed at his neck. The battle was over.

It was silent for a few minutes before the crowd began to cheer. It was deafening and I couldn't stop myself from jumping off my seat and clapping as hard as I could. Prim, Lily, and Milly also stood up and began to clap, Milly even letting out a loud whoop.

The black knight moved his sword and held out his hand for the red knight, who ignored it and got up on his own. He then marched away, his red cape billowing behind him. I snorted at his arrogance. What a sore loser.