Chapter Thirty-Two ~ The Search of His Rose ~ Part One

All Rights Reserved.

Eid Mubarak, guys! Here's a special Eid present for you all!
⤝O⤞

Nikolai's POV

"My soldiers. My people. My family. A great disparity has befallen us as we are left to bury our brothers who have fought valiantly and lost their lives as they defended our kingdom. We are left to mourn our losses, heal our injured, and pray for the young women that have been taken."

I looked over the sea of soldiers gathered around the staged metal podium. A clash of gold, red, and silver made up the field of soldiers, their armor coruscated under the slow sunrise. It was early dawn. The clashing colors of intense coral and canary amber shadowed the sky, the slow wind rumbled through the glass blades as the soldiers sheathed their swords.

Bastian stood beside me, his face set into a hard countenance at the future thoughts of what lay ahead. Would half of these men come back alive? Or were they doomed a promised death beyond the Mountain of Wozoid?

I didn't allow myself to ponder on those thoughts. Any thought of defeat could mar our chances and if there was anything I couldn't risk, it would be the acts of loss.

"Brave warriors. We set across the fields and march our way down the meadows to a foreign land we have not crossed in over decades! We march upon those unknown lands to liberate the young women who have been taken. To seize back the control and take vengeance against those who have wronged us!"

I looked at the faces of my men, men who have trained all their lives for this very moment and knew what was expected of them. Their faces holding nothing but sheer determination and cold eyes that held shreds of warranted fear.

If a man said he wasn't afraid to go to war, he breathes a falsehood.

"I stand before you, among you, as one of you and all of you. I am resolved to course through those mountains and not come back until every living maiden is accounted for. We will stand together and not spare an ounce of mercy to our enemies. We will paint their lands with their blood and leave only their remnants as evidence of their defeat. When they hear us coming, sheer terror will grip their hearts with icy fists and they will rue the day they ever caused us misfortune."

I turned to look at the Royal Council, who stood behind me protected in their cloaks. They had tried to convince me earlier that my presence wasn't required in war. I could only laugh at their words and told them if I were not to return, to choose a proper heir that would allow Chuvaria to prosper.

I, of course, had every intention to return with Rose by my side.

What if she's already dead?

Thoughts of her death plagued my every waking action, and if I were to happen to stumble across this turn of event, I will not leave any Ceasian alive.

My hands curled into fists as I felt my blood pulsing angrily through my veins. My blade was impatient when seeking vengeance.

Philip stood on the other side of me, wearing his armor and resting his hands on the base of his sword that was pointed to the ground. He nodded at me, and I turned back to address my men.

"Do not despair! The misery that is now upon us is but the passing greed of Ceasians who crave nothing but bloodshed, the bitterness of those men who are unable to find peace within themselves are haunted by their own dirty actions. Shall we allow these audacious men to violate our lands, kill our people, and defile our women? No, we shall not. I am resolved to fight and die amongst you, to battle for my kingdom, my people, and my blood. I simply have one request for you all. Don't die."