Chapter Twenty-Three ~ The Struggle of a Rose ~ Part Two

All Rights Reserved.

⤝O⤞

Nikolai looked every bit of what a King should look like. He wore his royal uniform, his heavy sword sheathed and strapped to his hips. He wore a heavy golden cloak that stretched across his massive shoulders and billowed behind him, and for a minute it felt like time had slowed down as he made his way toward the throne. His brown curls flowed behind his ears, bouncing with every sharp step he took.

His sharp blue eyes didn't stray, and he looked determined as he walked toward the throne. It made him impossibly more handsome and I could feel my heart thumping loudly in my chest. I almost placed a hand over my chest, afraid that it was loud enough for anyone to hear.

How silly.

The crowd watched in awe as he walked, their eyes unable to tear away from their future king. There were no whispers, no words were spoken as they all stared in admiration as he walked toward the steps. The minister and the crown bearer bowed to him before the trumpets were blown again, this time the sound had a fierce touch to it to indicate that the prince had come.

I noticed some unsurprised looks from a few guests and made the assumption that they were either a high-class Nobel or one of the Royal Council members who were already familiar with the faces of Royals.

I looked up and almost took a takeback when I saw Nikolai's father sitting in his chair. It wasn't him sitting there that had me frightened, but the harsh glare that was directed toward his son.

I looked back at Nikolai just as the minister opened his mouth and began to speak.

"Welcome people of Chuvaria! Welcome, all ladies and sirs! Welcome noblemen, Dukes, Duchesses, and Royals! Welcome guests from neighboring countries! Today we are joined together in the celebration of our new king!"

The ballroom erupted in applause as the minister's words broke everybody out of their stupors. Then the whispers broke out of the guests mouths and I could pick up a few sentences from the few standing close me.

"I say! Doesn't he look absolutely ravishing!" a few maidens giggled.

"Quite a good-looking man, you can see the wisdom in his eyes!" a nobleman whispered to his group.

"This is our future king!"

"Doesn't he look like quite similar to the man who wore the black armor at the tournament?"

This question caught my attention, and I turned to look at the ladies who's memories seemed to be better than most. They looked on for a moment before laughing to themselves quietly.

"Surely not! The royal highness exhibits much more beauty than that man ever could!"

Nevermind.

I did have such high hopes for them. Oh, well.

"When do you think he'll take a wife?"

"I'm positive he'll receive a number of proposals tonight!"

"Who knows? He might marry soon and there'll be another celebration after this one!"

"Oh! How I hope it's me!"

"No! It shall be me!"

"We shall see who he chooses for The First Dance! How exciting!"

The First Dance. The First Dance! How could I have forgotten about the First Dance!?

The First Dance was a tradition passed down from the King's before us. It would be Nikolai's first dance as a King and open opportunities for a prospect of finding a wife or the future Queen.