Chapter Fourteen ~ The Cry of a Rose

All Rights Reserved.

⤝O⤞

I woke up on my rickety bed, my eyes blinking up at the boarded up ceiling. I sat up, stretching before throwing off the flimsy covers. My feet hit the cold wooden floor, and I had to brush a few brown strands of hair from my face.

Today was going to be a normal Rose Van Sparrow day, where I was Rose the farmer's daughter, and I had to complete my chores. I would see Nikolai in two more days, as he had guard duty and had to make preparations for the Prince's coronation.

I hummed to myself as I stood up and began making the bed. I then headed to the washroom and grabbed the bucket. I looked at the mirror, smiling at my reflection. My brown hair was tied into a long ponytail, and I decided not to bother too much with it since I'd be staying home today. I finished up with my lavatory necessities before making my way out.

I walked down the hall, my nose inhaling the faint scent of something rancid. It was the old pipes that were over a decade and them some old. I forgot about the smell when I noticed that Lily's door was closed. I pushed it open, wondering if she had awoken, as she didn't barge into my room today. I smiled when I saw her sprawled body hanging off the side of the bed.

Trying not to make a sound, I crept into the room and pushed her body to the center of the flimsy bed. I looked out the window and could tell it was still early. Father would be getting ready by now and Prim would be downstairs preparing breakfast.

I made my way downstairs and smiled at the familiar sight of my sister taking out the pot for the porridge. She turned around and almost dropped the cooking instrument when she noticed me standing there.

"Goodness, Rose! Do make yourself known! I'll have a head full of white hair by the time I turn twenty-five if you keep that up," Prim chided, narrowing her eyebrows. She was dressed in an old green dress that had a white mesh around the neck.

"Pardon," I told her with a slight grin.

She rolled her eyes before going back to pulling out the porridge from the cabinet. I went ahead and took out the bowls from the other cabinet. I arranged them on the table and then began to get water for the glass pitcher.

"Rose? Do you mind stirring while I go wake up father?' Prim asked, turning around to look at me. I nodded, waving her off as I took hold of the ladle. I heard the sounds of her footsteps trudging up the stairs before I allowed myself to fall into my thoughts. I remembered the icy blue eyes of a certain black-haired knight who managed to make my heart pound faster than the fall of rain.

I remembered the way his arms circled around me as he told me the story of how he became a knight. He told me about how he managed to save the life of the prince when they were just children. As a reward, the king allowed him to become a royal guardian and to train under the best swordsmen. The prince and he managed to become the best of friends, and their bond of loyalty was truly unbreakable.

I was happy that the prince was going to be coronated soon. Someone who was friends with Sir. Nikolai was bound to be a good person.

The sound of a high pitched shriek shook me out of my thoughts. I dropped the ladle and my eyes went to the roof of the kitchen, wondering what was wrong.

Suddenly, I heard agonizing wails shaking the walls of our home. I raced toward the stairs, my feet hitting the wooden steps with force. I ignored the shock of pain when my foot landed on a splinter. When I made it to the top, I saw Lily making her way toward the sorrowful cries.