Chapter Five ~ The Petals of a Rose

All Rights Reserved.

⤝O⤞

He held my hand in his, his beautiful blue eyes boring into mine. My breathing became slightly uneven and I was left almost panting for breath.

"Will you not ask me for my name?" he asked, his tone husky and it did strange things to my heart.

"Yes!" I squeaked in a high pitch voice before flinching at how I sounded. I sounded like a hyena with messed up vocal cords. Oh, the horror.

"May I ask you of your name, Sir...?" my voice faltered at my stupidity. I was asking for his name while addressing him as if I knew his name. With knights, you addressed them as Sir with their name. Kind of hard to do that when you don't know who they are.

He let out a small laugh, the corner of his eyes crinkling with laughter. Oh corn, he looked so beautiful. I had to look away or else I might have uttered those very words. I've embarrassed myself enough today.

"Nikolai," he said, taking my other hand into his grasp. Now both my hands were stuck in his clutches, he held them gently but strongly, making it hard to escape.

It's as if though he knew that I wanted to run. I wonder what could have given him that idea?

Nikolai. How aristocratic.

It was silent for a moment, with me staring at my skirt and I could feel his heated gaze on my face. When he released one of my hands, I was ready to bolt. But then his index finger caressed my chin, leaving a trail of heat. He lifted my chin to look at him and I was suddenly struck with a thought.

What if he wanted to kiss me?

Goodness! He was beautiful, yes, but I drew a firm line when it came to giving a part of me away. I wouldn't give it to a stranger with a beautiful face, no matter how tempting it was. No matter how pink and kissable his lips looked.

"E-Excuse me, Sir Nikolai?" I said, hating how shaky my voice sounded.

"Yes, Rose?" Nikolai answered, a small smile on his face.

"I know that if a knight were to win the tournament and if he also wore the loyalty of lady, then he'd be graced with a kiss," I spoke, my eyes wandering before going back to his face.

"Oh? Well, it seems that I'm the knight who won the tournament and I'm also wearing the loyalty of a lady," Nikolai mused, raising an eyebrow.

"With all due respect, Sir Nikolai, but I refuse to kiss you," I blubbered out, in a rushed tone.

Nikolai stared at me for a second, his hand still caressing my cheek, but then he left out a bark of laughter. I watched him as he laughed, still backed in the corner of the tent. His large rough hand still held my small one, but his other hand moved away from my cheek, leaving it cold.

Soon his laughter died, and his arm wound around my waist. I stared at him in shock, wondering what he was doing. My cheeks burned at our close proximity, his chest touching my own.

"I wouldn't kiss a beautiful maiden if she didn't want me to," he said, making me sigh in relief. Wait, beautiful maiden?

His mouth lowered to my face and his lips brushed against my ear, faintly.

"I'll kiss you when you least expect it."

My eyes widened and I ripped myself away from his hold. I held my ear with both hands, it burned from his searing touch. My heart beat rapidly and all my body functions seemed to be at edge. Everything was happening so fast, and my brain couldn't catch up with the events.