Chapter Twenty-Eight ~ The Bravery of a Rose ~ Part Two

All Rights Reserved.

⤝O⤞

Rose's POV

"What do you want with us?" I heard Naida ask, and I tensed, hoping our captors wouldn't get angry with her outspoken personality. I'd certainly do damage to their faces if they so much as tried to touch a hair on her head.

The men jeered and laughed at her question, and my stomach cramped painfully when I watched a group of them make their way toward us. The sky behind them was a dark grey, looming over the mountains with heavy clouds. The wind blew harshly, nipping at our revealed skins, making us more aware of this dreadful situation.

"Well, we might as well try to find out if we were successful in finding her," one of them said.

The others mumbled upon themselves before one of them broke from the group and walked to stand in front of us. It was then that I noticed that none of these Ceasians were wearing the knights uniform. They looked like Ceasian barbarians, scoundrels that enjoyed causing trouble as much as they enjoyed breathing.

I looked around the outside of the cave and noticed that the actual Ceasian knights had set up camp a little bit farther up the mountain, as if they were both separate groups... working for the same goal?

"Attention, lovely ladies. We're the Ceasian Hounds that run these mountains. You all have the pleasure of meeting the leader who orchestrated this whole mission. Welcome, to the beginning of your new lives," the Ceasian began to laugh, the other men joining in.

The women began to cry immediately, some already beginning to scream and beg for their freedom.

"Please! My father has enough gold to buy you a country. He'll give it to you all if you set me free! I promise," one of them sobbed. The other women had similar words, telling our captors how much money their families had and how they would be rewarded if they returned them.

I could only sit, my hands still tied behind my back, my mind wandering to my sisters. My father. My mother. My mother who had apparently been a queen and had failed to mention it.

Now wasn't the time to ponder about it and I had to pull myself from the dark trance I was in.

I had no money to offer the Ceasian Dogs or Mutts, whatever they called themselves. Their name made me want to snort in laughter. They seriously couldn't think of anything better? They were beneath dogs. Beneath anything rotten.

"Shh," the Ceasian shushed, making the women quiet down. They weren't taking any chances. It wasn't just me that noticed their glinting sharp blades that were strapped to their waists.

"You'll all fetch me a higher price than whatever your fathers could offer me," he explained, leaning down and gripping one of the chins of the women. She shook like a leaf rattled in the wind, and I could only hold my breath, hoping he wouldn't do anything damaging.

My heart panged in my chest as I noticed some of the knights drawing near to the caves. My body growing frozen as I watched Levon walk to the front of the group and speak to the supposed leader of the Ceasian Hounds.

Naida twitched beside me, and I glanced over at her, just to see that she was trying to twist herself up to stand on her knees. I slowly shook my head, hoping she'd get the message and stay down. She didn't need the attention! If anything, she was worth more than all of us combined.

Right?

"Excuse me! You have no right to keep any of us captive!" Naida yelled out, and her voice echoed behind her in the hollow dark cave.