Chapter Twenty-Two ~ The Struggle of a Rose ~ Part One

Chapter Twenty-Two ~ The Struggle of a Rose ~ Part One

All Rights Reserved.

⤝O⤞

My eyes fluttered open as my nose inhaled the sweet aroma in the air that drifted around the room. My head rested comfortably on the plush pillow as the sun peeked in through the long golden curtains.

The room was enveloped in a brilliant golden light that oozed with morning cheer. My eyes slowly adjusted from waking up, and I was hit by a sudden confusion from the red colors in my peripheral vision.

I sat up from Nikolai's bed, and my mouth fell open as I took in the hundreds of roses that littered the room. The reddest of roses were scattered around the area, taking up spaces on the plush couches, the white alabaster floors, and the king bed I currently occupied.

My heart pounded heavily in my chest at the gorgeous sight and only one name could come to mind of who would do this.

Nikolai.

I noticed a paper beside me covered with scattered soft rose petals that contrasted greatly underneath the white duvet. My fingers slowly picked up the card, and I gazed at the words in wonder. I recognized them from the book Nikolai and I had first read together.

I will cherish you forevermore.

"I well caharis yon feather mope," I read out loud, before narrowing my eyebrows. That didn't sound right. I studied the card long and hard before holding it to my chest. It didn't matter what it said because I already understood and greatly appreciated the feelings behind this gesture.

I would cherish this moment forever.

I pressed one of the roses to my lips, my eyes shutting on their own accord as I inhaled the sweet smell of the flower.

I truly loved Nikolai.

⤝O⤞

"Lady Rose! We must begin preparations for the ball," one of the ladies-in-waiting commented, stepping up to stand beside my chair. I had been invited to tea with the Princess along with my sisters until we had to get ready.

I looked at the lady with a questioning look before looking outside to see that noon had barely even come.

"Now?" I asked, just to make sure I had heard her right.

"Yes, m' lady. It's a long careful process we must carry out," she replied, bowing her head.

I looked over at my sisters, who were also confused as to why we had to get ready so early. I looked over at Princess Naida, who noticed the look of confusion on our faces.

"Believe me when I say it takes quite some time before you're considered 'ball ready'," Princess Naida explained, as she herself stood up and followed her own lady-in-waiting to the bath area. "I'll see you ladies at the ball!"

The other ladies in waiting began to escort us back into our own rooms, and I smiled at the familiar sight of the first bedroom I woke up in since I entered the castle. The canopy bed was still made and the curtains were drawn open to reveal the gorgeous greenery.

The lady-in-waiting already had the opulent crimson gown hanging from a hook on the closets door. I noticed a few powders on the vanity along with coral colored tints that held purposes of reddening a lady's lips.

To say it plainly, I was excited.

I'd never been to a ball before and never to one where my own lover would be crowned king.