Chapter Twenty-Four ~ The Struggle of a Rose ~ Part Three

All Rights Reserved.

⤝O⤞

The ceremony ended just like that but right after the true celebration began. It was time for the traditional First Dance the new King was obligated to participate in. I watched as a small crowded line was made in the back of the ball, and each Lady would take a turn to walk up to the steps, bow in respect to the King, and wait to see if he would descend the stairs for her.

When he didn't, the Lady would move on and be forced to stand to the sides and watch the other ladies present themselves or find another dance partner.

I stood with Princess Naida and my sisters, watching as the other ladies formed their line. Princess Naida looked back at me, and almost took a takeback when she noticed me standing beside her. I looked at her in confusion when her eyebrows shot up her forehead.

"Rose?!"

"Yes?"

"What on earth are you doing standing there?"

"I-I'm-"

"You should be in that line over there!"

"W-What?"

"Do you think for a second that my brother is going to dance with any of these women? Come along! I do applaud you for trying to break tradition but give my brother a break," Princess Naida laughed, as she pulled me to the line, leaving my sisters behind, who didn't bother to hide their smiles.

"Don't think for a second my brother won't descend those stairs and pull you to the ballroom himself because he will and it'll probably anger the Royal Council," she continued pushing me to stand behind a lady wearing a blue dress.

"B-But-" I began but by then Princess Naida had bounced back to my sisters and they all stood to stare while hiding their smiles behind closed fists.

I could hear the excited murmurs of the other women who had high hopes of being chosen and didn't bother hiding their egotistical smiles as the line slowly progressed.

Nikolai still hadn't chosen a woman.

"My father is part of the Royal Council, and I've already met Nikolai a few times at private parties! I'm positive I'll be chosen," I head a lady whisper to her the other woman, who all looked at her with faces of envy.

She had the advantage of being related to a council member and had already met Nikolai before. She was considered ahead of all of us.

Tch. How lucky.

"My kingdom has much to offer the new King of Chuvaria! I dare say an alliance with my kingdom will be the greatest connection he can ever get."

"Oh? I doubt it! Your kingdom is so small it barely has a place on the map. King Nikolai is better off making an alliance with the Kingdom of Ceasian than your tiny village," another lady replied, hiding her face behind a golden fan.

My body froze at her words before I forced myself to relax and look straight ahead. They had no idea that the kingdom of Ceasian had a princess and I wanted to keep it that way. The line began to shorten as the Nikolai barely acknowledged the maidens that presented themselves.

Soon, it was the turn of the lady with the golden fan who had bragged about her status. The other ladies held their breaths as they watched her walk elegantly toward the guarded steps and curtsy.

She looked back up and Nikolai did his general nod of acknowledgment before his eyes swept away from her and to the next person in line. I almost snorted at her actions when she huffed angrily and stomped off in the other direction.