Chapter Twenty-Six ~ The Unspoken Emotions of A King

All Rights Reserved.

⤝O⤞

Nikolai's POV

Rage. It was a boiling heated emotion that seeked to harm those who have caused me pain. It was an inferno that sucks in every calm notion and spitting it out angrily. It was frozen fury that burns and makes the heart miserable. I desired the blood and pain of my enemies, and how I would relish tearing through their skin with a sharp blade, and taste their shrill hoarse screams of agony.

Oh, how I desired it.

Sadness. A lukewarm emotion that felt profoundly painful when taking root in my soul. It brought feelings of hollowness and the desire to fill a missing void. It embedded itself into my skin, refusing to leave and brought on the stench of tears. A shattered expression mixed with the feelings of extreme loss and despair.

Oh, how I wished to escape it.

Bitterness. A metallic emotion that made my mouth dry and my blood run cold. A harsh beating of the truth that I couldn't ignore. I couldn't save her even though I promised I would. I neglected the one true thing that mattered and she was stripped away from me. It forced me to swallow the painful pretend medicine of regret that managed to poison me from the inside out.

Oh, how I wished to bear it.

Fear. It was a blistering emotion that left goosebumps in its wake. It stripped my soul bare of any protection and bravery, revealing nothing but a man with a broken heart. The anxiety that it brought along, hand in hand, as painful thoughts of what she went through, of what she might be going through brought me to my knees.

Oh, how I wished to defeat it.

My sword was wedged into the marble ground, my hands gripping the handle as my head laid rest in my arms. My body trembled with uncontrollable rage as it coursed through my body. The bodies of the Ceasian soldiers were draped against the ground, their blood staining the once spotless alabaster floors.

The rose I had placed in Rose's hair was crushed in my fist, the soft petals crumblings into scrunched up leftovers of what was once considered beautiful.

About two hours had passed since we defeated the last Ceasian knights. Two hours of not knowing where Rose had been taken along with my sister and various other women from the ball. The Ceasians had strategically gathered them while the knights and guards were focused on defeating the enemy.

Even I had been fooled.

I didn't want to relive the emotions I had felt when I first heard Rose's screams. When I had turned to look at her, my blood had immediately run cold from seeing her bloody face and recognizing the arms that had held her.

Levon.

I cursed myself for not killing that bastard. I should have had him thrown into the dungeon but I thought breaking his wrist and removing him from the Knighthood would have been punishment enough.

It wasn't.

I didn't know what was more shocking; when he sliced my father's head clean off or when he was dragging Rose out the ballroom. 

For now, I could only play the waiting game. I thought endlessly of what I could do, and when I had defeated the last of the adversaries, I immediately began to head after Rose, but I was stopped by the Royal Council who had dictated that I was needed here.