Chapter Thirty-Five ~ The Roots of a Rose ~ Part One

All Rights Reserved.

⤝O⤞

Rose's POV

"Did you hear about the events that took place in the Mountain of Wozoid?" I heard a maid whisper to her other fellow maid companion. I tried not to stare as they redid the bed even after I had already fixed it.

Guess they didn't like it.

"No, what happened?" her companion answered back, with an inquisitive expression. The lay the red comforter over the luxurious mattress that seemed to have been made of the softest fluff found on earth. They allowed it to drape over the bed and pulled it enough so that it wouldn't stretch to the floor.

"The soldier that was sent with the message to have those poor girls released back to their home reported that all the Ceasian Hounds had been seized and taken prisoners by the Chuvarian Army," she whispered, and my head almost swiveled in her direction.

But I forcibly kept my face stoic and sat in front of the vanity. A series of miscellaneous beauty items were scattered in front of me, ready at my disposal. I didn't know how to use any of it except for the lip tint.

My ears perked up at the words Chuvarian Army and I let out a small sigh of relief that the Ceasians Hounds had been captured. They had been caught! What splendid news! That meant that the women had been saved, yes? I could only hope so.

Happiness erupted from the bottom of my soul, and I couldn't help the big smile that stretched my face. I had done something! I was able to help those women get home! I wanted to jump from my seat and dance around in glee but couldn't in fear that the maids would think I lost all sanity.

"Really? How wonderful!" the maid exclaimed in a loud whisper. "Those damn scoundrels were giving us such a horrid reputation!"

That was news to me.

So the Ceasians didn't link themselves to the Ceasian Hounds?

Confusion clouded my mind as my brain tried to make sense of everything that was being said. We were told story after story about the Ceasian Kingdom, yet some of everything I was told seems to be... untrue.

For one, King Zaros didn't seem like a murderous brute that lived off the blood of his subjects. It seemed like everyone had favoring respect toward him and didn't fear him as we did back in Chuvaria.

The only violent thing I had seen him do was ask for the man's execution on the first day I had arrived... and have Nikolai's father beheaded.

Nevermind. That seemed exactly what a murderous brute would do.

Well, there goes proving that point.

"The fight barely lasted for an hour before their King beheaded Aryan Melodive," the maid continued, and from the mirror, I could see them beginning to dust the shelves.

Barely lasted an hour? King?

Nikolai.

My heart warmed at the thought of him before it was doused in a cold ice shower. Memories of our last encounter singed my heart, and I bit my lip when it became too hard to breathe.

I doubt anything would ever be the same between us after my father killed his father.

"King Nikolai Andres, was it? How elegant!" the maids giggled between themselves and I almost laughed. Even here, Nikolai was praised and admired.