Chapter Twenty ~ The Truth of a Rose

All Rights Reserved.

⤝O⤞

Huh?

Before I could even grasp the strength of his words, I heard the sounds of swords unsheathing and I was surrounded from all sides. I was completely petrified as the large knights stood around me from all sides, surrounding me.

"W-W-What...?" My poor mind couldn't even form a sentence. The only thing I could do was stare at the King in shock, trying not to shake from the harsh glinting pieces of metal pointed at my neck.

I slowly turned around to face my sisters, who both held horrified expressions. I could feel my chest rising up and down in a hurried pace, and myself becoming faint.

What had I done? Was I disrespectful? Did I bow incorrectly? Was he angry that we had stayed too long?

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" an icy voice expressed, his tone so cold that I could feel chills running down my spine. I looked at Nikolai, to see him glaring harshly at his father. Before the King could even answer, Nikolai descended down the steps away from him.

He walked toward me, his face stoic and body tense. He looked ready to attack. He walked in between the knights' swords and stood right beside me, facing the King.

"Nikolai! Step away from that traitor!" the King finally speaking, his eyes flashing with anger. He had stood up and I have never been more afraid. What on earth do you do if the King himself is calling you a traitor? They're going to behead me!

A traitor? What traitorous thing had I done? Was falling in love with the King's son an act of treason?

Beside him, Princess Naida could only stand in shock. Did she also think I was a traitor? I was most positive not a traitor!

"Your words hold no truth. Rose is no traitor," Nikolai spoke, his voice loud and filled with animosity. He pulled me against his body, my hands resting on his chest. The knights surrounding us lowered their swords slightly, not wanting to hold up a weapon toward a royal.

"You do not know what I know! She has traitorous blood running through her veins! That girl is a royal descendant from the enemy's kingdom!" the King yelled, and my eyes widened at his words.

"She is the royal princess of the Ceasian kingdom!"

Are my ears deceiving me? Or did the King just proclaim that I was the daughter of King Zaros, the king of barbarism and bloodthirst?

Literal shock filled my veins and I wanted to laugh out loud at the ridiculous accusation. Was this all a farce? Was the King perhaps testing me? Or... could this really be happening?

"Th-That can't possibly be t-true," I stuttered, my politeness thrown out the window. I couldn't be the princess of Ceasian! I couldn't be a princess of anything! I was Rose Van Sparrow! Yes, my mother had come from another country, but she had married my father and had Prim, Lily, and I. "My father died a few days ago."

"Do you think I would just claim anything without any proof?" the King barked, and I almost stepped back from his sharp voice.

"What proof do you have to support your claims, father?" Nikolai asked, his body rigid, his eyes narrowed. The only thing comforting me was the strong arm around my waist that held me tightly and gave a promise that he wouldn't let go.

"The doctor who healed her noticed the Ceasian royal mark on the top of her back. If you don't believe me, have a look for yourself!" the King revealed. My hand slowly touched the top of my back over the dress, trying to see if there was anything there. Of course, I wouldn't be able to see it unless I had a mirror, so I turned to Nikolai who had looked down at me.