Chapter Eighteen ~ The Savior of a Rose

All Rights Reserved.

⤝O⤞

My eyes fluttered open, as I woke up from a pounding headache. My entire body hurt and I was frozen in pain, wondering what had happened.

I was laying on the most comfortable bed, and draped over me was a red cotton cover designed with the most intricate black florals. The bed had white large pillars on each corner, and from where I lay, I could see the white vanity from across the room with a huge mirror.

I moved to get up and gasped in pain when my body began to burn. I looked down at myself and noticed that I was wearing a pink satin nightgown, covering me from head to toe.

Was this real silk?

Wait, forget about the nightgown, where on earth was I?

Memories of the beating I received clouded my mind, and I was instantly forced to replay the events in my head.

"I want you to read to me," I heard Mr. Gale request.

I stood frozen at his words, remembering the blatant lie I had told him back at the Bibliotheca about how I could read. He handed me a blue book and sat his hefty bottom on the chair behind his sleek wooden desk.

I opened the book and could only recognize a few words. I couldn't just pretend to read, could I?

I closed the book and looked up to see him staring at me expectantly.

"I can't read, sir," I whispered, shame crawling up my back.

"What was that?" he asked, and when I noticed the pompous grin on his face, I knew he had heard me.

"I can't read, sir," I said a little bit louder.

"Oh? Well, didn't you tell me a while ago that you could read?"

"Yes, sir."

"Well?"

"It was a lie, sir."

"What a disappointment. It also makes me wonder what you were doing in there with that supposed guard."

"He was teaching me how to read-"

Suddenly, he stood up and walked toward me. My breathing grew harshly with every step he took, then he backhanded me with such force I fell to the ground. He then threw his head back and laughed as I held my cheek in shock. It was such an evil howl of laughter that goosebumps erupted on my skin.

"Excuse me if I say I don't quite believe you. Tell me, did your father know you were whoring around?"

My insides turned cold at his words and tears burned my eyes from the pain and humiliation.

"B-But I wasn't-"

"Nonsense. Did he at least pay you well?"

"I didn't-"

"At least your father died thinking you were still a virgin."

I shuddered at the memory before shaking my head. I slowly began to sit up, my body still aching with every movement I made.

The sun streamed in through the vast window, which stood behind a long white curtain. The window almost reached the high ceiling, and from where I sat, I could see an abundance of greenery. The room was a warm golden color, and there was red and black furniture situated away from the bed with a brown round table in the middle. I noticed beside where I had lain, there was a golden chair with a red cushion. It was empty.