¤ The Beast's Intentions ¤

¤ ¤ ¤

¤ ¤ ¤

○ Valerie Press ○

"Valerie."

A soft knock on the door of my office put disturbance to my work. Prior to my consent for the entrance of the person, the door was quickly swung open, revealing a seething Beta Reed with a wolf pushing itself closer to the surface of him.

Beta Reed stood in front of me with his cerulean eyes pointing judgement against my skin and his taut arms crossed above his chest, while I merely dropped my papers back on the desk and glided my tongue across my lips, preparing myself for the impending sermon thrown by the Beta himself.

"Beta Reed," I addressed him nonchalantly with a nod of my head.

"Last night can't happen again," Beta Reed bit out.

"Heath could have gotten in a lot of trouble, Val," he snarled. "That man's hunger should never be your concern. Your job was to simply patch him up and make sure he'll live long enough to give us the information we need. You are completely overstepping your role in this pack."

That ticked me off.

Killian was worth more than the knowledge that he could give about himself, and he was everything that anyone in the pack could never be.

Although he was oozing with strength and power, they chose to pay no regard to his capacity, all because they were too afraid of a beast worth more than an Alpha. They refused to accept a new addition to their old hierarchy.

"Don't you see it, Reed?" I questioned him. "Killian is something more, I can feel it just as much as you can. Alpha Azeil will do anything in his power to keep him down because he knows he can lose a challenge against him."

Beta Reed clenched his jaw, "It's almost ironic how you put a lot of faith on that beast more than your own wolf, don't you think?"

From a statement made in defense for his Alpha, it struck me hard in the chest, and I let my eyes regard him coldly.

"You have no idea about strength, nor authority, when all you've ever done is run from what you really are," Beta Reed spat. "And the only thing you've ever done throughout the extent of your life... is hide."

I didn't miss how his eyes trailed down to my bandaged arm intentionally, and I pulled it back away from his attention by moving it to my lap.

The punctures had gotten worse.

Everything he said was meant to hurt my core, to claw deep into my scars, opening it and letting me bleed once again.

And it just made me realize that he was just as blind as everybody else; so easy to be decieved and too oblivious to understand.

"Don't involve my brother with you again, Valerie, I mean it." Beta Reed flashed his teeth to me, and I was swift to become influenced by his threat and look away to yield myself to him instinctively.