¤ Unfolding Truth ¤

3 Months Later

I sat crossed legged on the bed of grass, under the shade of the looming oaken tree as my gaze traveled along the clearness of the sky.

A distant smile was plastered on my face, feeling the wind brush lightly through my hair and the warmth of the morning sun seep into my skin, and I welcomed the sense of tranquility to cease the lingering ache if loss lodged deep within my chest.

Killian and Heath had managed to leave it there, and I have yet to cease the sting that seemed to follow every memory of them.

The only promise I had left for a peaceful future was the sound of my pup's beating heart growing stronger each day.

It was as close as I could get from Killian, a piece of him that I have long promised myself to never lose as well.

I was going to raise far better than my father ever could with me, even if I had to do it all on my own.

"What do you think about Lawson?"

"Wait, no—that's horrible. Leon?"

"... Vaughn?" I released an exasperated sigh and leaned against the oaken tree as my eyes drifted down to Heath's grave that simply answered me with comforting silence.

"I wonder what Killian would name him," I muttered to myself, suddenly finding myself lost in thought.

After a while, I heard the sound of foot steps approaching me from behind. The person came a full stop, but since he wasn't planning on speaking up, I decided to up the tone of my voice so my words were loud enough to be heard.

"I didn't think it was this hard to think of a name. Reed's preference in names isn't very flattering. I think with you, Heath?" I paused, "I would have trusted your word a lot more."

"Ouch," I heard Reed huff from behind me, and I laughed more loudly.

"Reed, you wanted me to name him Kyle."

"And I don't see why you hate it so much."

"Exactly, Reed. You don't see," I rolled my eyes.

Reed stopped just beside me, his hands finding their way into his pockets as he let his eyes regard his brother's grave.

"Is it time?" I asked him.

"Everyone's gathered in the main grounds," Reed said, "Are you ready?"

I sent him a small smile, "Let's not have the pack dwell on this any longer."

"Hold out your arms," Reed immediately piped up as soon as he realized that I was about to stand up.

"Thank you," I released a breath as Reed pulled me up on my feet and swatted away the grass sticking to my bottom.

After taking as much time for me and the pack to recover from everything that happened, it was finally time that I renounce my ruling title from the pack.

"You know you don't have to do this, right?" Reed said as we make our way back into the pack.

"I need to," I scoffed, "I can't lead a pack alone, Reed. What's worse is that I'm so pregnant that I'm utterly vulnerable. I can't even stand up without your help."

"I just want to make sure that Eli isn't forcing you into this," he said, "I've been around that guy long enough to know how greedy he can be."

We arrived at the main grounds, the pack members gathered all together as an awaiting crowd.