¤ Butchered Nature ¤

¤ ¤ ¤

¤ ¤ ¤

I felt manic, both rage and bloodlust free from any rational—human constraints, and it was the most dangerous kind of freedom that I suddenly found myself immersed into.

Raw, untethered power ran hot within my core, and I could vaguely feel the strong brush of the wind and the smell of earth promising me boundless freedom.

It was exhilarating.

Fierce, yet so foreign for the likes of me.

And whatever feeling that was currently conquering my conscience, was not mine to possess.

It was someone else’s.

Gradually, the familiar feeling of chase began to creep into my conscience, my heart drumming in sync with every stretch of my limbs as I ran fast, and wild, and hungry.

It wasn’t long before I felt the jump and heard the loud snarl ring into my head.

And I jolted awake from my bed with a gasp when I heard the harsh clamp of teeth that I could have sworn left a taste in my mouth.

I was sweaty and out of breath, like I had pushed my limits in a harsh session of training. Disoriented, I let my eyes scan my surroundings and frowned when I noticed that I turned my bed into a complete mess, with sheets and pillows torn open from my extended claws.

I dragged my hand against the ruined white sheets, annoyed with the unintended damage that I had left on the bed.

I took a moment to collect myself and wiped the beads of sweat dotting my face before standing up to get ready and pay Heath a visit at the hospital.

Once I stepped out of my den, I was greeted by the clear blue sky and the bright, burning sun. With summer close to its peak, the weather stayed constantly sunny and the breeze turned a lot more warm, and it was a known season loaded with different awaited celebrations that brings almost every member of the pack together.

Yet, this time, I didn’t think they’d have the time to prepare for such things given the pack’s current circumstance.

They would be too busy doing damage control after losing two consecutive alphas.

The walk to the infirmary had been quiet, almost therapeutic, but as I neared my destination, the sound of someone’s pained screaming slowly became audible to my ears.

I stopped as soon as I realized that the sound belonged to Heath, and I could already see Reed sitting on the front porch with his elbows rested on his knees and his hands clasped tightly together.