Just Doing My Job

Bill was sitting in his police car eating away. He had a bag of McDonald's in the passenger seat as he was park on side of the road. He read the numbers that flashed on the screen of the detector. The speed limit was fifty. So far the only people that went over were around fifty-five, or fifty eight. Bill was too busy eating his Big Mac to really care.

It wasn't that his job wasn't exciting, it's just when it's a holiday late at night, a lot of people are going to be caught. At the moment though, he didn't really care since his shift was almost up. And it was still too early for the partiers to be out and about with their bottles of beer. There were countless experiences where Bill would have to stop people from mooning stores. Drinking made you go crazy, that's one thing Bill learned in the first year of working as a cop.

It was New Years and Chief had promised him he could go home to his family before the clock struck twelve. It was ten o'clock so the sky was dark and some stars were visible. Half more hour and he's off the hook for the rest of the day. He took a sip from his sprite and finished the fries. When he was done, he sank back in his seat and watched the cars.

Just as he was about to get off work, he saw the speeder. Going fifteen miles over the limit, and swerving. It wasn't that bad, the driver just seemed to move from side to side too often. Bill sighed and took the car off park, turning the lights on and chasing after the driver. Part of him wanted to let this guy slide, but the swerving had him worried. The car in front of him pulled over to the side when he saw the red and blue lights from the police car.

Maybe I could get this DUI before heading home. Bill thought to himself. He grabbed his small flashlight and headed to the car. Slowly, but surely he checked the back of the car with the flashlight before flashing it to the driver. "Blake?" He asked when he saw the driver.

"Oh..." Blake cursed. "What up Bill?"

It was like getting a hard slap across the face. Bill sighed, "Blake could you step out of the car please." Blake pulled the key out of ignition and stepped out of his car leaning against the door. "Do you know you were speeding?" Bill went through protocol.

"No..." Blake buried his face in his hands like he had a headache. "I was just trying to get home before midnight."

"I hardly believe that..." Bill muttered. "Does your mother know you're out?"

He nodded, "Yeah. I went to a friends birthday party."

"Now answer truthfully, ok?" Bill crossed his arms. "Were you drinking?" Blake took a moment to think about it. When Bill figured he might lie he added, "If you say no but you truly have, I could just test you with the tube."

Blake sighed, "I had a couple beers. Yeah."

Bill didn't know how to respond. So he did  what he was trained to do, "Don't you know better than to drink and drive?" It was a common phrase he'd use whenever he caught someone driving under the influence of alcohol.

"Like I said," Blake laid back against his car. "They were just a couple beers. I was trying to get home."

"Well I'm headed home now. So come on." Bill led him to the police car and ducked his head under in the back. "Sorry," He said when he placed his hand on Blake's head to push it underneath the car, "It's a habit."

The left Blake's car on the side of the road. "Why can't I ride in the front?" Blake asked.

"Because I have to much stuff in the front." Bill muttered taking a seat behind the wheel. He put his seat belt on, turning the red and blue lights off.

"Are we just going to leave my car there?"

"I'll get Cole or Shawn to come pick it up."

There was silence for a moment. "So am I going to jail?" Blake asked with a smirk on his face.