Chapter 14

The plane ride was quiet as Steve went over the plan.

"Ultron knows we're coming," Steve stated. "Odds are we'll be riding into heavy fire, and that's what we signed up for. But the people of Sokovia, they didn't. So our priority is getting them out." Everyone prepared for the landing and hooked on earpieces. My father, in the Iron Man suit, came over to me and put his metal hand on my shoulder.

"You don't have to do this, you know," he told me. I looked up at his face and smiled.

"Of course I do," I replied. "I helped create the monster, I'm helping destroy him." My dad glanced at his feet. "Dad, I swear I'll be okay."

"You can't promise that."

"I just did, Metal Man," I laughed. I heard a slight chuckle from behind his mask. As the jet door opened, I walked outside and breathed in the early spring air. I had a feeling it wasn't going to feel so peaceful in about an hour.

____________________________________________________________

"Don't hurt us!" a woman cried as I blasted a door open. Her children were held close to her, huddled in fear. "Please."

"I swear on my life, I don't mean to do that," I said. A little girl about the age of eight moved away from her mother and her siblings.

"You're...you're good?" she asked me. I nodded and gave her a little hug. "But you blasted the door."

"I did that to protect you." I looked up at her family. "You all have to leave. A bad, um, man is coming, and he doesn't care who he hurts." The mother's grip on her children tightened. "Grab your things," I said. "Hurry. Tell everyone else in the building." The little girl stared at me.

"Who are you?" she asked.

"My name is Isabel. You?"

The girl swallowed. "My... my name is Sophia." She pointed to her siblings. "That's Gabby and that's Henry." I crouched down by Sophia and looked into her eyes.

"Sophia," I said. "Protect your family. Some day, the could all disappear, and you could never see them again." She shivered as I took off my necklace and put it on her. "This will protect you. Help your mom." Sophia smiled.

After I left, I could hear little Sophia running to every apartment, knocking on doors and telling the residents what was going to happen. Every family, every person I warned, I couldn't help but think of her. The poor girl was only eight but was about to suffer from losing the place she called home. I landed from a water wave next to Wanda, who was outside a building.

"Isabel," she said as she hugged me. "Where did your necklace go?"

"I gave it to a little girl who needed it," I told her. I then heard my father on the earpiece.

"Isabel," he called out. "I need you with me at the church."

"On it!" I replied back. "See you soon, I guess?" I said to my sister.

"You better," she warned. "I just got you back." I winked as I flew off on another wave. I could see the rest of the team below me helping the civilians evacuate. When I landed, I saw my father already talking to Ultron himself. Ultron was now an even bigger robot than before.

"Ahh, Isabel Maximoff," Ultron slurred. "I glared at him as I walked beside my father.

"It's Isabel Stark actually."

"You already threw away the connection to your parents."

"Just because they created me doesn't make them my parents." I looked up to my dad. "Are we blowing him up or not?"