A World Divided; Chapter 9

I stood in my black catsuit from Natasha (a few new changes added) as I watched a white van pull in the parking lot. "Cap," Clint greeted as he and Wanda jumped out. I gave my sister a hug and she stood beside me and crossed her arms. I guess I got that little trait from her. Steve leaned forward and shook his hand firmly in gratitude. Bucky stood behind me, his hand on my shoulder protectively.

"You know I wouldn't have called if I had any other choice," Steve explained.

"Hey man, you're doing me a favor," Clint answered.

"Retirement too boring for you?" I smirked, crossing my arms just like my sister.

"My new personal chef," he said, rubbing his hands together.

"Nice suit," I commented, setting my weight on my left leg and bending my right slightly forward. Bucky stiffened, and I turned my head to tell him everything was okay.

"You look like you're in a gang," Clint joked. "And yes, the suit is nice. I had it personally made. I can be mascot." Wanda chuckled.

"You have competition then," I said. "I think Cap put Barnes's in that slot." I stuck my hand out, and I got a metal high-five.

"And Wanda," Steve said. "Thanks for coming."

"It was time to get off my ass," Wanda answered, glancing at Clint. The look she gave him made my heart clench. She had a father figure in her life now, and he was great to her. If he ever tried to hurt her, I would fly him to the moon and leave him there. I could be left broken, dead, or worse, but if anything happened to her, my world would fall apart.

"Same for you, sis." I glanced up in shock, and she saw my scared expression.

"Can you hear me?" she sent.

"Yes. How is this possible?"

"You're reading my mind. It must have been from the experiments?"

"I hope not. No offense, but this isn't the best time to find out I have new powers."

"How's the new recruit?" Steve asked, his gaze set on the van. I glanced back at my sister one more time before joining Steve's eyes. Clint rolled his eyes at Steve's question and pulled open the door, where Scott was sleeping on the middle seat.

"He's ready to go. Had to put a little coffee in him, but he should be good." When the light reached his eyes, he jumped before covering his view from the brightness. I rolled my eyes. Steve stared at me.

"Him?"

"He's better than you think," I replied.

"What timezone is this?" Scott said groggily. I rolled my eyes again (so much sass, right?) and pulled his arm.

"Mr. Lang, if you don't get up I am never taking you to Disney again." Scott squinted at me.

"Isabel?"

"Yes, and we have company." I moved out of the way, and Scott was standing in front of Steve. His mouth dropped a little, and Steve gave a warm smile.

"Captain America," Scott said in wonder, and Steve extended a hand.

"Mr. Lang."

Scott took his hand and began to shake it, still in awe. "I'm shaking your hand too long," he said awkwardly. "This is amazing. Captain America." I smiled and shook my head slightly. This was adorable. My spirits soared when he turned to Wanda and said, "I like you too, you're great." The smile she gave made me want to tear up. Scott had no idea how much she needed that.