Mission Atlantis; Chapter 8

I woke up, gasping in the police's car. I looked to my right to see Scott unconscious, his helmet on my lap. I tried to tuck a loose strand of hair, but my hand's were handcuffed. I groaned and closed my eyes.

"Sleeping Beauty awakens!" said the cop driving the car. "I was getting worried. We don't want that, do we, Isabel Stark." I glared at him and tried to summon a water whip, but was given an electric jolt. "Easy, now. You can try to use your magic more if you want to get shocked again."

"Take this thing off," I said, seething. "And let me out of the car." The police officer in the passenger seat laughed.

"Honey, you aided a criminal and assaulted two police officers," he chuckled. "We'll let you out once we get you and Lang to jail." He leaned his head closer to me. "Wonder what your daddy will pay to get you out." I kneed him in the face, satisfied by the yelp of pain.

"My father isn't someone to mess with," I snarled as he covered his bleeding nose. "You're lucky I'm handcuffed, or I would beat the crap out of you for thinking my dad would just be your giant paycheck." Scott started to stir beside me. When his eyes opened, he jumped when he saw me in cuffs. He turned to the driver nervously.

"Paxton, turn around, take me back," he begged. So that was the driver's name.

"I am taking you back," Paxton said. "To prison, along with your friend here." Scott looked at me in shock.

"Don't worry about me," I pressed. "Good job, by the way." He turned back to Paxton.

"There's something in that backyard that needs to be destroyed," Scott told him. "In the bug zapper, it-" The car suddenly stopped, and I was cast forward into the front of the seat. I heard a faint noise as the handcuff's electrical battery died. Paxton turned to Scott, furious.

"You need to desist right now!" he yelled at him. I barely paid attention, I was slowly taking my hands out of the cuffs. "Your delusions are out of hand! You even brought a kid into this!" I quickly laid a fat whip on his shoulder.

"Actually," I said sweetly. "I joined in on my own accord." The police radio beeped.

"All units we have a 236 in progress at 840 Winter Street." Scott looked at me in horror.

"Cassie!" We said in unison. Scott was starting to pale.

"Go!" he whispered as Paxton started speeding to the destination the radio had given. "We won't get there fast enough, but you can!"

"I can't leave you here!" I whispered back.

"I'll meet you when I can, now go!" I nodded, and I Apparated to Cassie's room. Darren Cross stood in his Yellowjacket suit, while Cassie huddled on her bed. I stood right behind him; he couldn't see me.

"Don't be scared," he said evilly to her. I filled up with rage. How dare he! She didn't deserve to be put in this. I whistled, and when he turned around, I landed a solid punch in his face. He stepped backward a few steps while I cried in pain as I moved to Cassie's side. I probably broke my hand. Cassie looked to me in terror as Darren regained his posture.

"Are you a monster?" she asked fearfully. I shook my head.

"Not at all," I told her gently. I leaned over and whispered in her ear. "Daddy's coming." She looked at me and smiled.

"If I may, who are you?" Darren asked me as I turned around, holding Cassie's hand with my good one.

"The name's Isabel Stark," I said. I could feel Cassie shaking, so I tried to put confidence in my words. "If I may, Darren Cross, go to hell." Darren stiffened in his suit.

"Don't you have a way with words."

"Leave now before I beat the living daylights out of you."

"And how will you do that?" Darren questioned. "You have a broken hand, and you're trying to help her." He pointed a finger to Cassie, who hid behind me. "Do I look like a monster?" he asked her. Cassie nodded.

"I want my daddy!" she cried.

"I want your daddy too." Darren stepped forward and swatted me against the wall, Cassie screamed in terror as he picked her up. Suddenly, Scott ran into the room.

"About time," I moaned. Cassie looked at him.

"Daddy, is that you?" she asked. Scott lifted up his helmet.

"Hi, Peanut," he said cheerfully. Cassie smiled. Scott kept staring at Cross. "Isabel?"

"I'm okay," I hissed in pain. Of course I wasn't okay! But we needed to keep to the mission. Scott smirked at Darren.

"Why don't you pick on someone your own size!" he yelled, throwing a disc that shrunk Cross against his will. Scott shrunk down and the two men started fighting on a motorized toy train. Cassie ran to my side.

"Are you okay?" she asked me. I grimaced. Probably broke a rib or two. I slowly pushed myself up into a standing position.

"Never better," I smiled. I held out my hand and led her slowly around the room, watching as tiny lasers flew past us. I made sure that she was covered and had no possible way of getting hit. I could hear Paxton yelling from downstairs. I winced as one rogue laser brushed against my side, burning the skin and the suit.

Before I reached the door, I heard a loud thump and turned around. A normal-sized Scott laid on the floor while Darren Cross pointed a laser at us. At the same moment, Paxton ran in front of Cassie and I.

"Freeze!" he yelled, pointing a gun at the man. "S.F.P.D.!" Paxton knocked the gun aside.

"Get Cassie out of here!" Scott yelled at us, jumping up and shrinking to attack Cross again, who swatted him across the room.

"Sorry, sweetheart," Darren said evilly to Cassie as he pointed a laser at her. "You have to help daddy pay for his mistakes." I stepped forward to fight, but Paxton blocked me with his arm. I looked up at him in surprise.

"You two stay behind me, okay?" he told us. Cross laughed, threw Paxton aside and positioned his lasers. One at Cassie, and one at me.

"Say goodbye to everything you know and love!" he screamed at us. Scott tried to get closer, but pieces of debris kept him away.

"Cassie!" he cried. At that moment I saw all the love he had for his daughter, and how a monster was going to take an innocent life to watch a father suffer. Something inside me snapped. My hands started to glow blue. I had never felt angrier in my entire life.

"Cassie," I told her. "Close your eyes." I raised both hands at Darren Cross and water exploded out of them. Any anger I had ever felt was being directed at him, leaving me oblivious to his pure screams of agony as the water damaged his suit and slowly drowned him. I slowly formed all the water into a sphere, and when he was completely enveloped, I summoned a giant force of ice, freezing him. I swayed as I delivered the final blow to the ice, and it and Darren Cross fell to the floor in pieces.

I looked to Scott, who had managed to get free of the debris and was now holding his daughter, and smiled. My legs gave out from underneath me and I collapsed on the floor. Scott ran over to me.

"You really outdid yourself," he smiled weakly. I sighed. It felt like a little too much. I shuddered on the floor and tried to breathe. Scott's smile turned to a worried frown. My vision started to blur. "Oh, god, Isabel. Breathe!" I heard Scott yell. "We need an ambulance!" As my eyes closed, I could hear sirens blaring as Scott tried to keep me awake.