CHAPTER FOUR

Gasps filled the silence as she revealed her plans to the leave them and head back to Kattegat

Gasps filled the silence as she revealed her plans to the leave them and head back to Kattegat. She had gotten to know all of them during the ten years she had been living with them. It wasn't because she didn't enjoy herself up in the village or disliked anyone. She wanted to head to Kattegat because what held her heart lived there. When she had met Ragnar and seen his sons the memories the stick had tired to make disappear in the fog of pain got back. Vál looked at Vidar who only stared at her, pupils dilated.

"Why?" Siv asked as she sat back down.

"Unfinished business." Vál said simply before emptying her cup of mead. Ulvar placed a hand on her shoulder, patting it slightly as he gave her a supporting smile. She smiled back and patted him on the shoulder.

"May you find what you are looking for!" Guthred said as he raised his cup and the others mimicked his motions except for Vidar who raised his after the rest, deep in thought. Vál looked at him and their eyes met, he gave her a nod.

"Skål!" Vidar said and the others cheered as well. However it soon got clear that everyone wasn't impressed by her choice. Thorulf snorted and spit at the ground and his friend Ingemund glared at her as well. Vál clenched her jaw as she raised her brow at the both of them. Ulvar raised his brows at the older men in the corner of the room.

"You got a problem with my choices, Thorulf?" Vál asked over the talking warriors. Thorulf laughed flatly and mockingly before spitting on the ground again then taking a gulp of mead. Vál gripped the cup in her hands tightly, her knuckles turning white."If I'm not deaf I don't recall hearing my decision was involving you?" She said, standing to her feet even if Ulvar tried to keep her on her ass. He wasn't fond of Thorulfs reaction yet there was no need to blow it up instead of keeping it civilized.

"Correct." He spat and she glared at her, her gaze hardening, freezing quickly. "I don't like how you think one can just come and go as they please. Some of us are out there day and night protecting your ass when you pack your things and lets us take care of the rest." He continued, she could hear the venom dripping from his voice.

"You question my loyalty?" She asked, her voice rough and filled with anger.

"Damn right I am!" He drunkenly said and she snorted.

"Thorulf." Ulvar said, warning him.

"How dare you to sit there and tell me I'm not doing enough? How dare you even say that I haven't done shít for you people?!" Vál said as she got out from her seat. "Ever since I took a step outside Kattegat ten years ago I've been beated, drilled, broken so I could kill people on demand. I've been sitting out there by the fire each night I've been told to do so just like everyone else. I've been doing the exact same things as you've been doing! I've fed you, protected you and cared for all of you!" She was now yelling, her eyes glowing in an icy cold shade. The shade almost resembling the light grey mountains surface. The same harsh surface and unbreakable look.