CHAPTER TWELVE

Vál had gotten a bath, got changed into black pants and a black shirt before she braided her hair

Vál had gotten a bath, got changed into black pants and a black shirt before she braided her hair. She braided her heir tightly to the scalp, adding some metallic details to them as the rest of her long hair flooded freely down her back. The braids preventing hair to fall into her face. She got her cloak before leaving for the great hall. It was filled with people who enjoyed their last days together. Björn and his large entourage would sail in two days as Ragnar and his smaller one would sail in three.

Vál walked into the great hall and took a seat by the table, in front of Björn and next to Harald and Hvitserk. Her plate got filled and her cup as she could feel Björn's eyes on her. However the stare didn't feel like usual, it wasn't filled with rage or disgust. He was simply looking at her. Everyone was engaged in a conversation, Vál listening around taking when she felt needed to but other than that she ate in silence.

A gasp soon interrupted all the conversations in the room, Björn's eyes widen and he quickly got up from his seat causing Vál to look over her shoulder. Her eyes widen when she saw Lagertha standing there with a short haired brunette woman slightly behind her. Björn walked over to his mother and embraced her in a hug. People started to talk again which made it difficult for her to hear their conversation. However Lagertha soon walked further into the room, towards the main table. The brunette woman followed Lagertha and Vál noted the look Björn gave her. She saw how his eyes roamed her body discreetly before mumbling something to her. Lagertha peeked over her shoulder as she heard the words leaving her sons mouth.

"Lagertha." Aslaug greeted the blond woman and Lagertha gave her a nod.

"Aslaug. I see your sons have grown since I last paid a visit." Lagertha said and her eyes roamed the sons by the table. Her eyes soon stopped on Vál and she raised her brow when their eyes met. Lagertha was a woman Vál always had respected and admired. Lagertha had always oozed power, wisdom and respect. Lagertha almost didn't recognized the woman seated by the table, her features was more sharp, ink covered her neck and temple but the icy eyes was still very familiar.

"Lagertha." Vál said and gave the older woman a nod.

"Vál." Lagertha said almost speechlessly. "I never thought I would have the privilege to meet you again. You've changed." Lagertha continued and Vál gave her a small smile. Lagertha didn't seemed to have changed a day since she last saw her. She didn't look older, no wrinkles was visible on her pale skin.

"It's nice to meet you again Lagertha." Vál said and Lagertha forced a smile. Lagertha had always liked Vál and a part of her still did yet she was hostile towards her since Vál had broken her sons heart. Lagertha had spent days to comfort her son after Vál had left, she had seen how destructive Björn's life had gotten when Vál had left.

"Why are we blessed with your visit Lagertha?" Aslaug asked and Lagertha looked at her.

"Björn sent a man to tell me he was leaving for the Mediterranean and I wanted to bid my farewell." Lagertha said and looked at her son who had stood beside her. Björn nodded at his mother as she placed her hand on his shoulder.