CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

Vál walked out of the main hall before she decided to roam around the kingdom

Vál walked out of the main hall before she decided to roam around the kingdom. She slowly made her way around, wincing slightly yet it felt good to be on her feet again. It wasn't planned for her to get hit and something deep inside her made her feel embarrassed for it. She saw the mess that had occurred from their raid in the kingdom. The smell of burnt filled her nostrils and different things were scattered around the halls.

She walked further down before turning the corner, seeing a large beam blocking her way and she lets out a sigh. However a frown soon spreads across her forehead before she steps closer. When she were close enough she could see what laid on the floor on the other side of beam. She sucked in a harsh breath when she saw Helga laying there in her own pool of blood next to a young brunette girl. Vál took a grip of the beam, trying to move the beam but her wounded shoulder argued.

"Björn! Anyone! HELP!" Vál screamed loudly as she tried to move the heavy beam, only moving it a few inches. She saw the young girl with a dagger to her heart and Helga who had a stab wound to her neck. Anger flooded through Vál's body when she new the young girl had killed one of the purest souls Vál knew. She hadn't been in Helga's company a lot but she knew how much she cared, what she had been through and how much she loved and supported Floki. With one last try she successfully lifted the beam, ignoring the brutal pain from her not healed shoulder.

"HELP!" Vál screamed one last time before she pushed away the beam so she could reach Helga. A groan left her lips and she clutched her shoulder as she ran towards Helga. Vál's hands instinctively pressed against the wound on Helga's neck staining her hands in the crimson liquid. She couldn't feel Helga's puls but she tried to shake the older woman awake.

"Helga! Wake up!" Vál said to the older woman as she shook her lifeless body.

"Vál what's the— Helga!" Floki said before he ran over to his wife. Vál moved slightly and her heart broke when she saw Floki looking at his dead wife. Floki looked over his shoulder after inspecting Helga's stab wound on the neck before looking at the young girl on the ground. Vál could feel the anger that suddenly oozed from Floki's body. His body shook from the immense anger he felt before he looked back at Helga.

"I'm so sorry Floki." Vál said and placed her hand on the older mans shoulder. She gave it a light squeeze before looking behind them to see Vidar and Ubbe looking at the with wide eyes. She looked back at Helga before placing her hands above Helga's face to close her eyes. She stood up as Floki picked Helga's cold and lifeless body up. He walked away with his wife.

"Are you okay?" Ubbe asked and they both looked at her. She nodded her head before walking in the same direction she came. She heard them walking behind her and soon she walked outside. Her eyes quickly searched for Floki and she saw him outside the castle with Helga in his arms walking further away. Vál felt Ubbe and Vidar's presence behind her as she felt her stomach turn as her shoulder and thigh ached. She blinked quickly when she felt the nauseous feeling. Her throat closing and just the thought about her own saliva made her nauseous. She took a deep breath when the feeling didn't disappear.