CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

The boats clashed against the shoreline as they reached England, a place Vál yet had visited

The boats clashed against the shoreline as they reached England, a place Vál yet had visited. Her eyes roamed the shore, like any other shore and the forest a head of them and the hills. The thing that separated England from her last trip to Paris, Frankia were the weather. A clouded grey sky hovered above them and she knew it could start pouring down on them any second. Björn tapped her shoulder as he stood to get off the boat and she followed.

Her heavy weight made her sink slightly in the sand and soon Hvitserk, Ubbe and Sigurd stood beside her, letting their arms roam the new land as well. They soon left her as Vidar and Ulvar approached her. A faint groan left Ulvar's throat and she looked at he ran the corner of her eyes.

"It's too humid here." Ulvar complained and she chuckled slightly, patting his shoulder before walking over to Björn and they soon followed her.

"Let's not waste time, we'll head for King Aelle immediately." Björn said and everyone around him nodded. Harald gathered his men, Vál gathered hers and the brothers made sure theirs were together as the other earls had summoned theirs. No one was left behind to watch the boats yet Vál didn't bother to question it. All men and women were needed to defeat the ones responsible for Ragnar Lothbrok's death. She could only believe that the word of their arrival had already spread and reached the Kingdoms. She could only imagine how many spies they had summoned by the shoreline after killing a true legend, the father of five Ragnar Lothbrok; the worlds most dangerous man.

When they had walked for almost ages they reached a large open area ahead of them. They had planned to part ways first. A smaller group of warriors were arriving first to face King Aelle only to add on. Vál stood behind with her men, Harald and Halfdan and the Ragnarssons. Vál could see the other army, large yet not large enough to conquer the Heathen army with its 4000 warriors. A faint smirk speak across her lips as more warriors joined them, adding on before the king on the other side.

Vál ran over with her men together with Harald's men, standing next to them as more men faced King Aelle. Vál squinted her eyes as she looked at the large man onto of the horse, frowning as she saw his helmet before biting her bottom lip.

"What a ridiculous helmet." Vál mumbled to herself and heard Harald and Halfdan chuckled beside her. "He looks absolutely ridiculous." She continued and she tilted her head to the side to observe further. Soon Ivar joined them in his chariot pulled by the white horse. All brothers were gathered and Vál smirked when he could spot the shocked expressions coming from the other side of the battle field. King Aelle and his army were very outnumbered and it would be an easy battle, more like an execution from the looks of it. Like calm before the storm silence seemed to engulfed them. Then a familiar voice rung in her ear and the battle had begun.

"FOR RAGNAR!" Then they attacked, running down the field, slightly uneven yet their warriors almost seemed to fly over the field as they ran towards King Aelle's army. Vál's sword quickly blocked a hit before she kicked the man's metallic shield then pushed her sword through his skull. All through the battle she kept her eyes on the Ragnarssons, Björn and King Aelle. Her eyes widen when she saw four men running towards Hvitserk. An abandoned slightly injured horse ran by in panic with its over having dead over its back. She placed one of her swords on her back before pushing of the body then jumping onto the horse in speed. She took the reins and made her way towards Hvitserk and the four soldiers. She swung her sword and killed one man as the horse ran into the other three, crushing them before falling. She jumped off before she fell onto the ground as well. She let out a huff before sparing the pain and slit the horse throat as a man ran towards her but an arrow hit his unprotected head. When she looked up she saw Vidar and she gave him a nod before she looked up at the king who were about to leave, surrender in defeat.