CHAPTER FIFTY-EIGHT

Vál moved her hand to his cheek again, stroking it gently as she looked him in the eyes

Vál moved her hand to his cheek again, stroking it gently as she looked him in the eyes. She had undressed emotionally for him. She had opened up and expressed her thoughts and her doubts. That Björn was still standing close to her with his hand on her waist calmed her broken soul. They just stood there, looking into each others eyes, feeling the puls calm slowly as their hearts beated in harmony.

"You taught me how to love bear slayer." Vál said and gave him a shy smile as her cheeks heated slightly. "Before I met you I never thought I would find someone like you that has swept me completely off my feet. I never knew how to love nor to express my feelings like this. The only form of love I ever saw was breeding season between all the other animals. When my parents died I blamed myself for a long time, I thought I had failed the gods and I was punished for it. I never thought I would've been given a second chance then I met you. When I think back I believe I fell in love with you back up there." She said and smiled sweetly at him.

"Well, you took my breath away immediately." Björn said and she blushed. "I was very shocked to see anyone else living there, then when your cloak fell off all the air left my body. I never thought you would've feel the same for me as I felt towards you. You were never bothered to cover up, you had that casual view of the naked body so I couldn't read if I affected you in that way. You never blushed, acted shy or avoided me. You sent arrows my way, pushed me away and dropped your clothes right in front of me without any care in the world." He continued and she rolled her eyes yet smiled.

"It's just a naked body Björn, nothing new to mankind." She said and he chuckled. "I never took you for someone who hadn't seen a naked body before, you didn't seem inexperienced." She teased him and he rolled his which made them both smile.

"Do you think it would've been different if you didn't left?" Björn asked suddenly and her smile faded as she swallowed harshly.

"I know it would be different." She said. "I don't think I ever thought it would be the same when I returned to Kattegat again. When I looked you in the eyes again after all those years I knew I had lost you forever that night ten years ago. No matter what I did nor said I knew that what we had, I destroyed ten years earlier." She said truthfully.

"I still love you Vál." Björn said and her heart fluttered in her chest as redness stained her cheeks.

"And I still love you Björn. I always will, no matter what." Vál said and he placed his forehead against hers. He wrapped his arms around her waist and she wrapped her hands around his neck. "What are we supposed to do Björn? We love each other yet you're happy with your wife and tomorrow people rely on us killing each other." She said and dreaded the answer.

"We can hope the night never ends." Björn said and she smiled as she licked her lips and blinked away her tears.

"I would like that." Vál said truthfully and he smiled at her. The fireplace illuminating both their skin and their eyes were glistening by the flames. "I was much easier back then, in the mountains." She said after a while and he smiled.