CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE

The night soon crept over Rogaland and Vál soaked herself in the warm tub Harald had ordered for her

The night soon crept over Rogaland and Vál soaked herself in the warm tub Harald had ordered for her. A sigh left her lips as she thought about everything that had happened through out the time she had met Björn, her opponent now. She knew she would always love him, no matter what. She had talked herself into being able to kill him if she had too yet only reality would show if she would be able to end his life with her own hands. Her heart ached in her chest by the thought of letting her swords cut into his deep enough to cause damage and even worst than that, death. She quickly opened her eyes as she sucked in a sharp breath, her thoughts fading immediately yet not the ache in her heart.

Vál started to remove her braids, one by one slowly. It was her last night in Rogaland and she couldn't be happier, she didn't belong in Rogaland or any other place this side of the ocean between Norway and Kattegat. Her home was Kattegat and the mountains. Her stay had been odd, she had never excepted the things that had happened to happen. She imagined herself waiting for Björn by the dock in Kattget, awaiting to hear the stories of his travels further than his father ever were and to get married to him. She knew their marriage wouldn't happen, even if they both survived the battle between Ivar and Lagertha. They had chosen one side each and were doomed enemies from now on. However she didn't want him to see her as a monster, the woman who betrayed him twice, or three times if she got particular. When battling she couldn't see him as an opponent, her feelings towards him were too strong. Her heart fluttered too much whenever she thought about him, ever tears could well up when she thought about him. She was his forever, until death would do them apart.

She couldn't help but to wonder what Björn was doing as she sat there in the bath. Was he feasting with a new alliance, was he planning strategies to kill her and Ivar's army or was he thinking about her as she was thinking about him. She wondered if Lagertha or anyone else poisoned his mind to loath her however she really didn't want to believe that. Lagertha had changed, she were a strong woman and a kind one accept she would cross anything to get what she wanted. Vál respected Lagertha for that matter. She took what was once hers yet she ignored the fact that she killed someone's mother. She betrayed Vál, asked her to kill the mother of four sons she had gotten very close, Vál had almost raised them the short amount of time she had been with Ubbe, Hvitserk, Sigurd and Ivar. She had taught them to fight, she had taught them some important things in life which they had ignored.

She had always told them that family would always come first yet they had betrayed, mocked and killed each other. They hadn't cared about a single thing she had told them. She knew that if they had joint like brothers do, nothing would've been impossible for them. Their father was successful since he was intelligent, strategic, curious and rather humane. Ragnar had sail off to new places, met new people, killed people that was different from himself yet also gotten to know them. All the sons of Ragnar had something from their father, not a single one of them were a copy of their father. However together they were chained together like the closest copy of the Ragnar Lothbrok. Vál rubbed her face as she wondered what their father said in Valhalla when his first son joined him in the great hall not long after himself got comfortable with the gods.