CHAPTER SIXTY-TWO

Vál nodded at Ulvar, anger and vengeance oozed from his body

Vál nodded at Ulvar, anger and vengeance oozed from his body. His eyes was burning with smoldering flames. Vidar looked at his closest friend, knowing that he had waited for ages to get the opportunity to avenge his lovers death. He had been stopped each time, knowing it would jeopardize things however now he was handed an opportunity directly from the gods themselves. He looked back at Vál, their eyes meeting.

"Follow me." Vidar asked and they, together with Ulvar walked into his cabin. She closed the door behind them and crossed her arms over her chest when she turned to look at them.

"Why are you at war with Björn? I thought you loved each other?" Ulvar asked as he looked her in the eyes.

"He's on his mother's side and for obvious reasons I can't defend what Lagertha did. Plus Björn is married now." She said and swallowed with difficulty which both men seemed to notice.

"Who?" Vidar asked and she only looked him in the eyes. A look of sadness struck by in her eyes and she broken. Her hard shell had started to crack and neither one knew what the inside would reveal.

"Snaefrid." She almost whispered before clearing her throat. "We need your help, I can't teach them all the possible ways the Sami will fight and we know how skilled they are. Lagertha's army is already greater than ours, I'm begging you. I can't take them myself." She said breathlessly as she looked at them both.

"I've already agreed on following." Ulvar said. "Svase is a mad man and I plan on killing him!" He said and clenched his fists tightly together. Vál smiled sweetly at him, knowing the history about his lover. Svase had always acted like that never happened, like he didn't know who she was or even who Ulvar was at times to belittle him. His daughter Snaefrid usually sat beside him and smirked. She had always thought she was something due to her title. She was a good fighter yet she glare down at people, like they were useless and disgusting.

"We need to vote since it will affect the dynamic up here. We share this land with the sami's." Vidar said with a nod. "We'll join but if anyone else from up here follows we need to vote." He said and she nodded.

Back at the camp Ivar and Harald sat in the main tent. Mead filled their cups as they discussed different battle strategies. They spoke about their enemy, Lagertha and how they would get to her. In two days they would stand on the field again, Hvitserk would hopefully be back with a large army of french soldiers from Rollo.

"Vál will be back as well, hopefully." Ivar said and Harald nodded.

"Yes, you think they will listen to her and follow?" Harald asked and Ivar shrugged. "Apparently they weren't as open to follow her to England to avenge your father. Why would they want to get involved in this?" He asked.

"Because they're a ruthless bunch of assassins." Ivar said. "If they don't follow she can just offer them all the riches in the world, they kill for money no matter who their blades sink into." He added.