CHAPTER FOURTY-ONE

Vál let her eyes wander of in the direction where she had seen the shield maidens walk Harald before looking at the great hall

Vál let her eyes wander of in the direction where she had seen the shield maidens walk Harald before looking at the great hall. She bit the inside of her cheek before starting to walk in the direction of the main building. Her eyes roamed the very developed city of Kattegat. The sound of her heavy footsteps against the wooden flooring on the porch filled her ears, her eyes casually roaming the pillars and she saw the hole her arrows had caused that night. Some things hadn't changed at least.

"Vál." Lagertha said once she walked inside the large room. Vál kept a neutral expression as she walked with determination in her steps towards Lagertha on the throne, looking like a powerful Queen with her shield maidens surrounding her. Women were dressing the walls, Astrid and Ubbe's wife, Margrethe, stood on either side of Lagertha.

"Lagertha." Vál said and greeted the women on the throne with a simple nod.

"Harald told me you had joined him back to us." Lagertha said and Vál remained silent. "I'm sorry my son couldn't sail back and tell me personally about his travels to the Mediterranean." She continued and she remained quiet. Astrid and changed a lot, she had a lot more ink on her neck as her body oozed more power and confidence. She could feel Astrid's eyes following her every move, making sure she wasn't trying anything. Astrid had probably been told about her discreet ways of combat and killing. Vál couldn't do more than to hope since she wouldn't want the new Queen to end up in a fight she couldn't win, Vál wouldn't let Lagertha lock her up again.

"I'm sorry about that as well Lagertha." Vál said truthfully, to have Björn with her would put her mother as ease which would be beneficial for herself. "Yet your son has an admirable adventurous side that I haven't been blessed with." She continued and the Queen nodded with a faint smile on her lips.

"I'm glad too see you alive and well Vál." Lagertha said and Vál raised her brow slowly as she looked into the Queen's pale blue eyes.

"Good for me I guess." She mumbled under her breath and Astrid tensed. "I hope you don't believe that I have forgiven nor forgotten our last unfortunate encounter which made me end up in that shed." She said out loud and the hidden, laced tone of anger was heard by both the Queen and Astrid yet Margrethe seemed oblivious.

"I hope you can forgive my actions." Lagertha said. "I hope you can understand my pint of view, it wont happen again." She continued and Vál only looked at her.

"Is this a genuin apology or are you only apologizing from a strategical point of view?" Vál asked and raised her brow.

"It's genuin." Lagertha begun. "I've spoken to my son and I know how much he cares for you. I also know about your future plans." She said and hinted at their wedding plans. Vál who tried to seem unbothered and neutral felt her cheek heat up at the mention of her wedding with Björn.

"I forgive you." Vál said causally as she shrugged her shoulders and their eyes widen. "Nothing good will come out of us fighting." She added. Lagertha gave her a nod yet when Vál took a step forward Astrid took a step forward as she placed her hand on her sword as did the other shield maidens in the room. Vál only held her hands up for them, showing that her actions wasn't about violence. When she stood close enough to Lagertha she held out her hand.