Chapter 5 Into The Woods

By the time Nia had snapped out of her bad mood, it was already too late, she was lost in the middle of the woods

By the time Nia had snapped out of her bad mood, it was already too late, she was lost in the middle of the woods. A while ago, she was too mad to even notice that she kept on walking deeper into the woods without turning back. She could no longer see her porch lights anymore, only very dim trees that the moonlight had shined it's light on. She used her phone as a flashlight, still, it was pretty dark. "Dammit" she held her phone above her head. No signal it read. Another alarming detail? Her phone was about to die anytime soon. It was getting colder, the sixteen year old pulled her night robe in an attempt to keep her warm. She felt panicked, she couldn't spend the night here. She shivered remembering about the legends Jacob had told her one day about those cold ones who walk among the night and the gigantic wolfs who hunt them. She didn't believe them of course, she was a logical person, but she still was scared of what was in these woods with her.

A shuffling came from the bushes behind her. Nia took a step back bringing up her phone for light. Her hands were trembling, she felt cold sweat. The creature came out jumping. She screamed dropping her phone and hearing a crack. Nia stopped screaming and put her hand on her chest. The flashlight shined it's light on it's light brown fur. Nia felt foolish, it was just only a little rabbit. A cute rabbit that now owes me a phone she thought to herself.

Another shuffling came from behind it, she was scared again. It came out. This time, it wasn't an animal but a human being. He had dreads and red eyes, he held the rabbit, and by the manner the rabbit was reacting, it was a tight grip. He smiled cunningly at the youngest Swan. "You're sister's scent maybe alluring but you are something else Nia."

"H-ho-how di-did you- Who are you?"

"My name's Laurent." His smile grew wider. Nia screamed when he showed her his fangs. He bit into the rabbit draining it of life. He pulled out the very last second throwing it into the ground. She felt sad for the dying rabbit but had a much more bigger problem standing in front of her. Laurent sensed his prey's fear and began walking towards her. She was nailed to the ground still in shock at what just happened. "Relax, it will just be a pinch." A growl got both of their attentions. Another figure was making it's way towards them. An enormous wolf appeared by Nia's side. She found herself looking at both the wolf and (she wasn't going to believe it) vampire. Somehow, she knew that the wolf was on her side. Laurent was fuming in anger, he began shaking and his fangs grew longer "mutt" was all he muttered before prancing at the wolf who also attacked with the same force.

Nia snapped out of her trance and ran as fast as she could not before taking the rabbit with her. She couldn't see a thing now that her phone was broken, she couldn't avoid the inevitable. Nia Swan had tripped and hit her head with a rock making her pass out with the rabbit in her hands.

Back at the Swan house; police, family and friends had gathered. It had been hours since Nia Swan ws last seen by her sister Bella who hadn't stopped crying since she left. Jacob, Quil helped Nia's school clique thinking of places where Nia could be. Embry was pacing outside of te woods. Among her circle of friends, he was the closest and most concerned. They had grown a special bond these past couple of months. He was even thinking about asking her out tonight. Meanwhile, Charlie Swan and Billy Black were head of the search party. Charlie pinched the bridge of his nose remembering what had happened to Bella a couple months ago. It all déjà fu for him. It got familiarly weirder when Sam Uley stepped out of the woods carrying his sleeping daughter like he did with his other daughter. He had no shirt on but Charlie knew that Sam wouldn't have tried anything. He was a good kid, a little bit strange with his peers but still had good heart. All of them rushed to the sleeping Swan. Charlie took her into his arms, she had a small cut on her temple. In her hands, a brown rabbit with blood stained on it's fur. It looked like it was close to death. Charlie knew that his daughter was helping it, he felt lighter. He was just gad that she was back in the house again safe and sound.