Chapter 7 The Meadow of Sorrows

"I thought you had plans tonight." Eric asked outside of the movie house.

"This was my plan for tonight. I gotta date." Nia wiggled her eyebrows. Eric howled at the brunette who threw popcorn at him. Oddly enough, he had caught each and everyone of them in his mouth.

"Good for you." Responded her older sister. Everyone had cancelled last minute except for Bella and the two guys who has been trying to get with her ever since she stepped foot in Forks. Nia felt sorry for Eric and Jacob who had uncomfortable looks when they saw each other. She laughed at the three of them. Something definitely will happen tonight. Meanwhile, she was waiting for her date. Her thirty minutes late date. She was starting to get worried; did he say tonight? or did he say this afternoon? Nia went home after an hour of waiting. She wasn't mad at Embry. She couldn't be, he was never like this. There better be an explanation why. She checked her phone again for messages. There were none.

---------

Three weeks, that's how long it took for Nia to realize that Embry was avoiding her. It wasn't just her, but Jacob, Bella and Quil too. His phone kept going to voice mail. She felt stupid that she was angry now and not all those weeks ago. She hoped into her car and drove to his house. She past the diner, memories started reemerging, she drove faster.

Embry heard loud bangs downstairs. He just came out of the woods where Sam and the rest were. On that night of the supposed movie date, he had shifted and stayed in wolf form for two days when Sam showed up and helped him. He never left his side since, he also found a band of brothers too. It was totally unexpected and somewhat comforting. But he had to stay away from his friends-on Sam's orders. He protested not seeing Nia but hearing about after what had happened to Emily when she stood to close to Sam when he shifted he had to do what was right. Even if it meant breaking his heart. He also missed his childhood friends Jacob and Quil but he knew that they would be joining him soon. It was only a matter of time until they shift....

"What the hell Embry." Nia said when Embry opened his door. Her lips were quivering, she was pissed. "I waited for you that night. I had texted, called and even asked Jacob and Quil who hasn't even seen you in weeks! Now you're hanging out with Uley and his cult. What? Are we too inferior to you?" Nothing came out of Embry's mouth. Nia grew more pissed. "Are you fucking kidding m-"

"-Nia, I can't do this now."

"Yes you can!" a wolf howl was heard in the distance. Embry knew that it was Sam summoning him back.

"I have to go." He began shutting the door but Nia had put her foot between the door.

"Did you regret it? Kissing me? Because if you did then I have wasted these last couple of months he-"

"I did." He looked down. Nia shut her mouth. "I never should've done it. It was a mistake, almost getting with you was a mistake. I just liked you as a friend that's it." Another howl was heard, this time, it was louder. "I have to go." he had shut the door on the shattered brunette.

--------

Nia didn't remember ending up here. All she remembered was running. She left her car in front of Embry's house, she didn't care, after what Embry told her she didn't care about anything and just ran. Nia ran until she ran out of breathe and stumbled into a meadow-a dead one. What was once filled with green was now filled with dry dirt. It was decaying like her spirit.

"What a surprise." A cunning voice said from behind. Nia froze knowing that voice which haunted her dreams at night. In a blink of an eye, he was in front of her with those same red eyes from that night in the forest. "You just keep getting lost do you Nia Swan."

She backed away slowly "Stay.Away.From.Me."

"Or what?" Laurent chuckled. She had no answer. His movements were fast, appearing by her side, gripping her from behind and tilted her neck. "Or what?" He repeated sinisterly.

A low growl cake from in front of them. There was the same black wolf, this time with a pack of gigantic wolves behind him. I knew it! It was true! I wasn't imagining it! The wolves lounged at Laurent making him throw her to the ground. She landed on her arm and screamed out in pain. Two of the wolves- dark grey and light brown one rushed over. Nia was beyond scared but as one of them bowed down, she got on it and she, with the two wolves ran out of the scene. She looked at the wolf next to her, the light brown one with curiosity and fascination, it had dark brown eyes, a set of eyes she felt so familiar with.