Chapter 10 Paul the Player

This doesn't make any sense! Nia threw up her arms in frustration. She had been staring at her homework for the past thirty minutes when she gave up. She hated Math....Nia flinched in surprise when a pebble made contact with the window. Another one came. And then another...Nia stood up walking towards it in curiosity. There on her lawn was Paul Lahote with a handful of pebbles that he was about to throw when Nia whisper yelled "Don't throw!" She covered her face just in case.

Paul smiled when he saw his imprint open the window and heart leaped when she spoke. "I have something to show you."

"On a school night?" Nia rose her eyebrow.

"Yes."

"I'm not supposed to be seen with you ya know?"

"Why?" Nia gave him a look
for that rhetorical question. He laughed "Didn't know that you care so much about what people think."

"No I don't!" Nia quickly defended herself. She didn't care about anyone's opinions but her own. She just didn't want to be..just another girl."It's because-I umm." She staggered, how could she tell him that she doesn't want to be labeled as his 'next victim'. Nia grew conscious. If she told him that, he possibly can say that he never thought of her in that way-which would embarrass Nia. Your too paranoid. Now he's expecting an answer. Think! "Cause-uhhh....fine!" Nia flushed. She put her legs out of the window one by one, she was sitting on it now. "Catch me kay?"

Paul didn't have time to reply. His eyes widened in fear as she fell two stories down. He ran to her direction with his hands ready to catch his crazy imprint. Paul caught her but the impact made them both fall to the ground with her on top. She giggled, adrenaline rushing in Nia's blood. Paul looked at her like she had grown a new head but at the same time was at awe with Nia's free spiritedness. "You're crazy don't you know that?"

"You're the one that could turn into a wolf Mr."

--------

"You drove me all the way to La Push to go to the beach...at night?"

"You haven't seen anything yet." Paul grabbed Nia's leading her to beach. Electricity went through both of them when their hands made contact. Nia was glad that it was dark so that he wouldn't see her blush hard.

Plants covered the view of the dark beach yet Nia could hear the waves crashing into the shore and tribal music? Paul pushed away some plants for Nia to enter the beach, upon entering, few people dancing around a bonfire wearing masks and tribal clothes. There were others that were also playing instruments, mostly drums. The rest were around them not in masks but were decorated in face paint. Nia covered herself with her cardigan that hid her outfit. Paul let go of their interwinding hands to remove her other prying hand on the cardigan. "You look better without it don't worry."

"You should've told me where'll be going so I could've changed. I feel so underdressed."

Paul got paint and smeared it on both of our faces. "There. Now stop worrying." Nia blushed again, this time due to the light of the bonfire, her red cheeks could be seen. Paul felt like the luckiest man in the world.

(dress)

(face paint)

(face paint)

"Paul! and Nia? Glad you both made it

"Paul! and Nia? Glad you both made it." Sam Uley approached the two with Emily following beside him. He was surprised that she was at this event. The work of Paul Lahote no doubt. Did she know about imprinting now? He and Emily wondered. Paul gave them a look saying no.

"I'm surprised that you both are here. Most of the boys couldn't even make it. Something about a big test tomorrow Paul?" Emily smirked at the teenager who simply shrugged.

"I'm not a stranger to cheating Ems."

"Certainly" Another voice interrupted. It was Julie Myers who was glaring at the pairs.

"What are you doing here?" Paul gave an annoyed look. Julie Myers was one of his short flings that didn't end well. It was his fault anyways, he couldn't keep his hands to himself. But the brunette beside him changed his attitude towards girls entirely. He was completely loyal to his  imprint, even though she didn't feel the way she felt yet.

"I think the question is what is she doing here? Let me answer that." She glared at Nia. "You're like any other girl Paul has brought here before. Throwing pebbles at your window, persuading you to come, dance the night away, a one night stand under the stars. Typical."  She flipped her hair marching away to her car. This place is so two weeks ago Julie bitterly thought.

The two adults were baffled and angered at Julie who wasn't even invited to the party. Paul looked at Nia with pleading eyes and took her hands in his. "Nia I-I didn't bring you here to take advantage of you and leave. She's crazy! It runs in their family. Her brother Dylan too right?"

"It's okay." Nia drew her hands back from Paul's. "You're not my boyfriend. You're my friend. Nothing more, nothing less." Underneath Nia's smile was distress. She felt a pang while saying that to a guy she had been thinking about for days now. But she didn't want to get hurt....like her dad did when Reneé left him. Nia was more than traumatized by it. She believed in love, but not in a forever.

Sam and Emily looked awkwardly at the two teens. They gave sad smiles to Paul when Nia left to get a drink. "She'll come around Paul." Sam gave him a pat.