Chapter 13 Powers?

Nia tiptoed into the house silently carrying her sandals in one hand. She made it her goal of sneaking into her room without being seen. Of course with a house full of restless vampires it was almost impossible. But she was still determined. With her back, she slowly pushed the door back. And she didn't expect it to shut so fast making a loud bang echo throughout the house.

Bella's voice instantly followed, "Nia! Is that you?"

The brunette's eyes shut tight cursing to herself before answering, "Yes?"

Her older sister came into view, her eyes wide with worry. Bella ran to Nia's side bombarding her with questions. "Where the hell were you?! We've been searching for you all night! We thought you were captured by the Volturi again, or worse! DEAD. Are you hurt? I-"

"-Bella-" Nia raised her voice cutting her sister off "-I'm fine! I'm sorry for running out last night. But I'm tired and I'm desperate for a shower." She began walking to her room.

"I deserve an explanation, Nia!"

The youngest Swan groaned in frustration. I didn't have time for this. The events of this morning were already draining enough. She shut her door not daring to look back at her sister who stood with her arms crossed.

---------

"Mhmm" Nia moaned sucking the blood bag dry before tossing it in the trash where four other drained blood bags drained by her laid flat. "I never thought I'd say this but blood tastes amazing." She wiped her lips clean with the back of her hand. 

"Best thing in the world right?" Emmet smirked.

"Yup," Nia said about to grab another blood bag when her sister's hands slapped hers. "Hey!" Bella grabbed the blood bag and tossed it back to the fridge.

"You still need to control your hunger around humans Nia." Bella crossed her arms.

Nia let out an annoyed sigh and walked to the other side of the room muttering, "Such a buzzkill". She knew her sister was right though. It had been a crazy week since she first arrived here, and all she wanted to do is run home and hug her father whom she hadn't seen in so long. But it was an impossible task when all she saw of him was a walking buffet as of the moment. She had been taking lessons with the family about controlling her thirst. But so far, it looks like she wasn't going to visit her human dad anytime soon. 

Nia headed outside of the house deciding to join the rest of the vampires who were trying out their powers on each other. 

--------

Nia starred at the beautiful brown vampire in the middle of the circle. Her name was Zafrina and she was from the Amazon. She had power over the mind. She had the ability to make people see what she wanted them too. The Cullen background transformed before Nia's and Edward's eyes. They were now in the middle of the Amazon forest. The sounds of the waterfall echoed throughout but it didn't fully overpower the rustles of the trees and the chirps of exotic birds flying past them. An explosion of colorful flowers Nia had never seen before was all over the place. A small monkey even appeared with a banana gripped in its hand. 

"This is beautiful," Nia whispered aloud feeling so small compared to the extremely large green trees. She had the sudden urge to book a trip to the Amazon. Edward seemed to be amazed too with his lips slightly parted in awe. They both smiled at Zafrina who was proud of her extraordinary gift. 

Bella, however, had a puzzled look on her face as if she didn't know what was going on.

"You're not amazed by this?" Nia asked in disbelief.

Bella's confusion still remained. "Amazed by what? What do you mean? I don't see anything." Zafrina now had her attention towards Bella. She stared intently at her but to no avail, Bella still couldn't see anything. 

The Amazon forest disappeared as someone made his way towards them. It was Eleazar, a member of the Denali coven, and was considered a 'cousin' of the Cullens. He, like the rest of his vampire family, was a vegetarian vampire. He approached the three with a knowing smile. "You didn't tell me your wife was a shield," Eleazar told Edward. 

Nia opened her mouth to ask but Bella already beat her to it. "What's a shield?"

"That's why I couldn't read your mind even before." Edward awed in amazement. "It's a defensive talent. You're immune to everyone's powers."

"It's a very powerful gift," Eleazar remarked nodding. 

Before anyone else added, Kate, another member of the Denali coven grabbed Bella's hand. Blue electric sparks were transmitted by Kate but Bella seemed to stay still rather than show any sign of pain from the electric shock. "She's a shield alright," Kate confirmed it.

"Maybe your voltage is too weak." Garrett mocked. Nia knew that he was lying, he believed that Bella was a shield but his teasing was just a cover-up for his interest in Kate. Nia smirked when Kate held up her hand scowling, "Oh yeah? Why don't you give it a try."

Despite Carslile's warning, Garrett stepped forward and let the tip of his index finger touch Kate's palm. He hissed in pain before collapsing on the ground. People around him laughed including Kate. 

"You are an amazing woman." He shook his head smiling.

Nia wondered if she had any powers. She knew she wasn't a shield-like Bella since Edward could still read her mind and she wasn't going to try to shock herself just like Garrett did to prove a point. "Do every vampire have powers?" She asked the group.

They all shook their head. Carlisle was the one who explained, "Certain vampires are able to possess gifts. They would usually appear during the first few days of being a vampire. But not all of us have been blessed with one." He gave her half a smile. 

It had been a week since she turned, and she learned a lot in those seven days. But so far, her powers-if she even had one- hadn't resurfaced. It wasn't the end of the world if Nia didn't have any powers. She wouldn't hold any grudges but it sure would be nice to have even just a simple one.