Chapter 18 Grocery Store Espionage

"Nia had so much potential. Just a few months ago she told me that she wanted to see the world and live one hell of a life. Now it's gone, her life is gone. She had so much potential. You know what she was gonna take? She was gonna be a-"

"-Charlie you sound like she's dead." Sue Clearwater gave her boyfriend a look. She pushed the shopping cart further not before grabbing cereal from the top shelf. "She's just getting married. You know what would be explainable though? If she was pregnant."

"That's not funny." He crossed his arms frowning while Sue was clutching her stomach in laughter after seeing the expression of Charlie's face. Charlie grumbly walked toward her muttering to himself. He stared at his feet wondering if he was truly a good father to his girls. Charlie Swan was so distracted that he almost fell when he bombed into something-or should I say someone. He looked up to see Sam Uley's towering muscular figure. "Sorry Sam, didn't see you there."

He smiled at Charlie. Something about that smile was sketchy to Chatlie. "It's okay Mr. Swan. Here-" He picked up some of the cup noodles on the floor and placed it on Charlie Swan's hands. "-nothing to worry about."

Charlie scoffed "I wish I had nothing to worry about Sam". He added a fake laugh in the end.

Sam tilted his head "Why is that Mr. Swan?"

"I'm-I-um...nothing I'm just being old. Don't mind me." Charlie faked a smile before heading back towards Sue. "See you around Sam." Nobody knew about his other daughter's engagement yet and he was under strict orders not to tell anybody...especially anyone from the res. It was an odd rule coming from his daughter and Paul which raised a lot of questions. But somehow, someway, Nia dodged all of Charlie's concerning questions in a bat of her eyelashes. She has always his weakness. Charlie shook all the weirdness of the last thirty seconds and went back on topic with Sue. She was deciding what kind of chips to add to the cart.

Charlie made a 360 turn to make sure Sam wasn't there when he said whisper yelled "She's seventeen Sue!"

"And your other married daughter is also still a teen." She looked at him triumphantly. Charlie bit his cheek. He ran out of excuses. "Just admit it. You're scared because you'll be all alone in that white house while your children move out and start families of their own. I also know that your closer to Nia and the thought her growing up scares you."

Charlie leaned on the wall pinching the bridge of his nose defeated. "You know she got accepted to the University of Oxford right?"

"Yes, you told me before."

"She already replied. She already said that she'll be going. But that was before Paul proposed and up till now he had no clue she even applied."

Sue dropped the bag of chips "yikes"

Behind them was Sam hiding behind another shelf snickering to himself. He felt bad for what he was about to do to his best friend and little 'sister' but he was willing to do anything for the people of Forks, La Push and Emily to be safe. Even if that means breaking up imprints.