Chapter 36: Exchange of Blood

I opened my eyes and greeted by the familiar warm light of my room. For the first time in days, the sun cast its light across the room through the open window.

Lumingon ako sa katabi ko. And I know I must be dreaming. Because I'm seeing Landon in front of me, sleeping peacefully beside me.

Ngumiti ako. Hinawi ko ang kanyang buhok na tumatabing sa kanyang noo. He groaned as he sleep. He sleep with his chest facing the mattress, with the golden morning light tracing his chiseled back.

Matagal na din mula noong natitigan ko siya nang ganito. His bushy eyebrows knotted into a slight frown even in his sleep, his sharp nose breathing heavily, his stiff jaw, and the curve of his full lips. Tinitigan ko nang matagal ang kanyang labi.

"Is it that fascinating?"

I shifted away from him out of surprise. Kumorba sa ngiti ang kanyang mga labi. His eyes were still halfway closed, sleepy.

"Landon..."

Kahapon, buong araw nanatili si Landon kasama ko nang malaman niyang may sakit ako.

He stayed to look after me, cooked food for me, and for the first time in months, he spend time with me, nang walang ano mang takot sa maaaring kapalit nito. Isa ito sa mga araw na hindi ko malilimutan. For one day, Landon was mine, alone.

But I know the limit and consequences of my wanting. It's what pulls me to the ground every time I drift too far.

According to River, noong huli kaming nagkita ni Landon, matapos ko siyang pilitin na manatili sa tabi ko buong gabi, bumalik siya sa mansion para harapin ang parusang halos ikasira ng katawan niya.

And now that Landon's in front of me, I'm being pulled between wanting to pull him beside me, and wanting to push him away for his own safety.

I eyes grazed the curves of his back; the depths of the scars, long, whip-like, as if Landon was nothing but an animal.

Inabot ko ang kanyang likuran. Pinasadahan ko ang kanyang mga naging sugat gamit ang aking daliri. I felt him stiffen, then relaxed.

"You should go, Landon," bulong ko.

Humarap si Landon at hinila ang aking kamay. Our faces were now inches from each other.

"Sshh," he whispered while staring directly into my eyes.

Bumaba ang tingin niya sa aking mga labi. He rubbed my lips gently with his thumb. Huminga ako nang malalim.

"Aren't you going to greet me a good morning?" Landon said with a smile.

I stared at him, confused. I was worrying about his situation, and all he's asking for is a good morning from me?

"Then, should I-"

Landon tipped my chin up before I even finish my sentence. Isang halik ang iginawad niya sa aking labi. It's one of the most gentle kiss I had of him. He was contented, and he kissed me to show how happy he is at this moment.

The early morning sun cast its light across the polished wooden floor, through the crumpled bed sheet, and illumating our faces.

"I want to wake up with you everyday like this. Today, tomorrow, and a thousand days after that."

He kissed me once again, and this time I had to close my eyes because I don't want him to see the tears that's about to blur my sight.

--

We went downstairs to have breakfast. In the past days that Landon's been here, I realized how good he is at cooking.

Tinitigan ko siya habang nagluluto. Landon's been living most of his life alone, maybe that's why he has no other choice but to cook for himself.