THREE

March, 1304

"I suppose they're here, aren't they," Lucinda sighed, and a low growl tumbled through Zara's chest. "There is no need to worry, my darling," she murmured, rubbing her pets head affectionately. In turn, Zara nuzzled her hip.

"Open your door, witch," the familiar voice of the miller barked. Shuffling ensued, giving away that there was more than one person positioned outside her front door.

"I don't believe I will, Matthew," she chuckled, removing her hand from Zara's head.

"Then we'll break it in," the miller snarled, and cheers echoed through the thin wood.

"Olenna, open the door," Lucinda murmured, and the bald eagle did as she was told.

"Now, Zara, be careful." With that, the Siberian tiger bounded through the opening and loud screams were soon heard. She knew that Zara wouldn't be killed; being exposed to all of Lucinda's magic had made her — as well as all the witches other pets — immortal. They would be alive as long as she was.

Unknown to her, some of the villagers had attempted to enter through the back door, only to be chased away and hunted down by her quartet of cheetahs; War, Pestilence, Death, and Famine.

"Zara!" she called, throwing a potion and someone who had managed to get into her house. "Bring out the cavalry!" A loud snarl was her way of saying she understood, and the screams grew louder as her cheetahs were set loose. Lucinda let out a tired sigh and ran a hand through her long red hair, closing her eyes.

"I help people for thousands of years, and this is how they repay me," she grumbled, and the floorboards creaked behind her. Lucinda spun around with her hands held high, only to feel the tip of an arrow press into her nose.

"Aaron," she muttered dismissively, shaking her head. The archer huffed and attempted to raise his bow again, only to be throw into the air and caught by Olenna. "I highly suggest that you don't try to move," Lucinda stated, the screaming still coming from outside.

"Why is that?" Aaron asked, wincing as the eagle's talons dug into his shoulders.

"Because she will kill you if you try." Lucinda stalked closer to the dark haired man, glaring as he managed to pull a knife from his pocket. "Where is your twin?" she asked dismissively, and the floor creaked behind her once again.

"Right here." Lucinda felt a sharp pain at the base of her skull, and then everything went black.

•••

She woke up with a groan, lifting her head up as she blinked blearily. She moved to run a hand through her hair, only to find herself incapable of moving. Lucinda's eyes widened as she realized where she was.

"What in Gods name do you pathetic mortals think you are doing!" She cried out to the mob of villagers, noticing the large pile of brush and sticks and plants at her feet.

"We can't afford to have you black mail us," the miller stated, a pitch fork still clutched tightly in his hand right hand, a lit torch in his left. Lucinda noticed how the other villagers held their weapons tightly as well, and she let out a loud laugh; they were still scared if her.

"I wasn't planning on blackmailing you, you absolute monsters!" She cried, her body thrashing around on the post she was tied to. Lucinda began to panic more, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Then why do you want to be paid in secrets," the mother she had seen through Rowena's eyes snapped, and Lucinda looked at them in astonishment, her panic momentarily forgotten.

"Because not all of you can pay me in money!" She cried out honestly. "I have done nothing wrong! You are killing an innocent woman!" The villagers all shared a brief look, turning to look at the miller in hopes of being told what to do.

"We cannot take that chance," the miller muttered gravely, and tosses his lit torch into the pile of fallen shrubbery. It took to the fire instantly, and the ground beneath her feet was swallowed by red hot flames. Slowly the fire climbed up her post, and she let out a loud scream as the raw heat ate away at her back and wrists. She closed her eyes and let out another scream, piercing the air with her voice.

Then it was all gone.

The burning stopped, the ache in her wrists stopped, and her ribs no longer hurt. Instead, she was held tightly yet somehow gently all at once, her head resting on someone's shoulder while their arms were under her knees and around her back.

"Is this her?" An unfamiliar male voice asked, and a quiet answer was heard from the corner of the room.

"Yes, that is her." Alec. What was Alec doing with magic? Lucinda let out a low groan and shifted, whimpering as her bloodied and blistering back moved.

"Thank you, Kane," the voice of Lady Charlotte whispered. Lucinda blinked slowly, letting out a hiss as whoever this Kane character was jostled her arm.

"What is going on?" She asked quietly, and suddenly all attention was on her.

"You didn't listen to me, Lucinda," Alec snapped. "That is what's going on." Lucinda rolled her eyes as she grimaced, swatting gently at the arms that held her as a sign of wanting to be set back on her feet.

"Alec," Charlotte began gently, only for her fiancé to rudely ignore her and continue talking as if he hadn't heard her.

"They were going to kill you!" He yelled, stepping closer and closer until there was barely any space between them. Lucinda used what little strength she had to threw him backwards, and an angry snarl twisted onto her lips.

"Did you ever think that maybe I wanted them to!" Lucinda challenged, quirking a delicately shaped brow, and the cottage immediately went silent. "I have been alive since the dawn of time, Alec, maybe even before that. I am tired. The only way I make money is by putting myself in danger, and I'm sick of it! If it weren't for me, no travelers would have even found Harpoon!"

"Lucinda," Charlotte started, but Lucinda stumbled backwards into the arms that had perviously held her.

"You need to lay down," the man spoke smoothly as he carefully lifted her into his arms for the second time and walked her to the corner of the room where a cot was nicely laid out. As soon as she was set down, she turned on her side; to alleviate the pain, and to ignore the others inhabiting the home for this moment in time.

"You saved us, Lucinda, now let us save you," Charlotte  begged quietly, her somewhat swollen belly making it hard for her to bend next to the bed.

"I don't want help," Lucinda grumbled. "I want to left at peace."

"Then let us help you find it," the auburn haired woman pleaded, resting a gently hand on Lucinda shoulder, careful to avoid the burn that should have left her writhing and screaming in pain.

"If you allow me to rub this on your wounds," the same smooth voice spoke, "while they will scar, they will heal quickly." Lucinda grumbled incoherently, which the man took as a sign he could go ahead with his task. The substance was pasty, and it stung her raw skin at first, but it felt cool and soothing after mere moments.

"Please let Kane help you, Lucinda" Charlotte spoke gently, and then she heard shuffling, and the door shut. Silence filled the home, and it was just Kane and Lucinda left in the small room.

"Does this still hurt?" Kane asked gently, and Lucinda shook her head stiffly.

"No," she muttered grouchily. "I'll live."

"I suggest you get some sleep then," Kane chuckled, and Lucinda heard him stand up and walk away, leaving her alone with her thoughts.