TWENTY

Lucinda walked through the Forks airport, Seth close at her side. He had a hand resting on the small of her back, and if she were correct, he didn't even realize he was doing it. Once she'd explained to him that there was an old friend she had to visit for advice, he understood.

The two sat in the seats at her gate in silence. She knew Seth was tired. Hell, she was tired too. Her flight left at 4am, but he'd wanted to stay with her until she left anyway. So there he stood, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, yawning every so often, arms folded over his chest, and his shoulder pressed up against hers.

When there was only a few minutes until her flight, and Seth was asleep on her shoulder, she smiled. Lucinda pulled out her phone and sent Carlisle a quick text, telling him to send one of the other wolves to pick him up. As she tucked her phone away in her pocket, they called her flight.

She stood up and gently shook Seth's shoulder, and almost laughed when he jolted awake. "What did I miss?" When he took notice of everyone grabbing their luggage and moving to the gate, he pouted. "Awe man," he grumbled. "I tried not to fall asleep. Guess it didn't work, huh."

Lucinda chuckled as he stood up and stretched. "I let you sleep," she promised him, grabbing the handle of her suitcase. "I didn't want you falling asleep on Sam." Seth smiled sheepishly at her and rubbed the back of his neck. Without thinking, Lucinda leaned forward and hesitantly circled her arms around him in a tight hug.

Seth seemed startled, but not a moment later his arms were wrapped around her shoulders and his chin resting on top of her head. Lucinda almost smiled, not wanting to leave his warmth, but she knew she needed to talk to Virginia Whether.

"I'll see you in three weeks," he sighed as she pulled out of the hug. Lucinda nodded, chuckling at the wide smile on his face. She grabbed her suitcase and walked quickly to the gate where she showed the worker her passports and the ticket and whatnot.

"Was that your boyfriend?" The woman asked. Lucinda looked at her, startled. The woman was looking behind her to where Seth stood, his eyes not once leaving her. Not even when a group of girls his age walked by, clearly flirting. He didn't even notice them. Instead, he shot her a wide smile that made her stomach flutter.

Lucinda cursed the blush that coloured her cheeks, and shook her head. "No," she murmured. "He's just a friend." The woman handed her back all her things and shook her head.

As she walked away, the woman spoke to her one last time. "My friends sure as hell don't look at me like that."

Lucinda turned one last time, replaying the sentence over and over again in her mind.

When she looked at Seth for a short moment — she played it off with a small wave — he was staring at her with complete adoration in his eyes. He still had a small smile on his lips, and she felt her heart skip a beat.

Lucinda turned around and as she walked into the plane, she couldn't ignore the warmth that filled her chest. The last person who looked at her like that was Kane.

And that scared her.

•••

The flight from Washington to France was a little over eight hours, and Lucinda hadn't slept at all. She spent most of it thinking about what The woman had told her back at the boarding gate, and was trying to figure out how she felt about him.

As she walked off the plane, still lost in thought, Lucinda stopped and looked for her friend.

Virginia was a quirky little thing who never planned out anything taking place five minutes in the future. She liked so say she was going with the flow but Lucinda knew that it was simply her not knowing what she was doing. Ever.

By far, Virginia was the oldest friend Lucinda had. They were both born in the same village within days of each other, and had kept in touch ever since. It was her Lucinda went to for help with grief when Kane died.

Virginia had done what she could — which just so happened to be removing all of her emotions — and even allowed Lucinda to stay with her for ten years. The two opened a small business in that time, selling spells and potions. In a recent letter she'd received, Lucinda learned her friend had turned it into a fancy tea house.

It had been roughly thirty years since Lucinda had seen her friend, though they still sent letters back and forth via Andromeda, keeping each other up to date in their lives.

"You seem distracted."

Lucinda's gaze snapped to the familiar voice. The tone was casual and — as always — had an underlaying hint of sarcasm dripping through it. Her focus soon found the source of the voice, and let out a breath of relief.

Standing ten feet in front of her, was her best friend.

Lucinda could see she had changed her hair — it was now a white bleached blonde — and still had the same fairly tan skin. Her eyes were still the same comfortingly familiar brown colour, though they looked as mischievous as ever.

She wore what she always did, a pair of dark jeans, vans, and an oversized hoodie, and Lucinda took notice she wore beanies now. She was given a welcoming smile, and a small laugh.

Lucinda immediately let go of her suitcase and threw her arms around Virginia Whether. The two stood their for quite a while, and Lucinda found she wasn't thinking about Seth as much as she had been before.

Not that she ever stopped thinking about him.

Virginia was the first to pull away, holding Lucinda at arms length. "You look different," she grinned. Lucinda looked down at what she was wearing and frowned. She'd put on a nice knee length black dress, a pair of red high heels, and a red bomber jacket.

"I thought it looked good," she frowned.

Virginia snorted. "Last time I saw you, you were pulling off a sparkly silver jumpsuit, Lucy."

Lucinda grimaced. "I don't know what I was thinking."

Virginia let out a soft laugh and hugged her again before pulling her towards the airport exit. "It was the 80's," she mused. "We all made terrible mistakes. Now come on," she grinned. "I want to show you everything."

A/N
It's exam week for me
Ughhhhhhh.
Also this is the end of Part Two, so Part Three will probably be up some point soon.
H.