THIRTY THREE

"Is it really necessary that we clear out the entire fireplace wall," Emmett whined.

Lucinda sent a blast of magic at him, using it to give him a good slap in the back of the head. "Yes," she muttered, tossing her hair over one shoulder. "As soon as the Harry Potter films came out, Virginia spent three days figuring out a way to travel through fireplaces like the Weasleys do. She's obsessed with it. So unless you want broken things all over the house for you to clean up later, I suggest you keep working."

Emmett let out a quiet grumble, but did as he was told. Rosalie laughed at that, though no one said anything more.

Nearly half an hour later, as Lucinda was boxing up some of Esme's most expensive china plates, she felt a light tingle run across her skin. She blinked, and a message in green mist appeared in her eyelids.

If I told you to bring out the confetti, would you do it?

Lucinda rolled her eyes and carefully set the box behind the couch. "Virginia's coming in!" She yelled loudly, stepping out of the way. Then she turned to Rosalie. "If I were you, I would move Bella out of the room."

Before she could bat an eye, Rosalie and Bella were gone.

A faint whistling sound echoed from the fireplace, echoing through the supernatural creatures ears.

It grew, and grew, and grew until it sounded as if there was a kettle boiling right next to their ear. And then there was a loud pop, and Virginia Whether came flying out of the unlit fireplace.

She slid out on her knees, having the rockstar moment Lucinda knew she'd been dreaming of for ages. Wearing black ripped skinny jeans, an original Led Zeppelin tee-shirt she's gotten at a concert, worn out converse, and her bleach blonde hair pulled back into boxer braids, she looked just as Lucinda had left her.

"Is that Lucinda Emery wearing skinny jeans?" Virginia gasped dramatically, placing a hand on her chest as she gracefully slid onto her feet. "I think I might be having a bloody heart attack, or maybe a stroke."

"Oh shut up at get over here," Lucinda rolled her eyes, throwing her arms around her friends shoulders.

Virginia cackled out a laugh as she set her chin down on Lucinda's shoulder, a gentle smile settling on her lips. "You're acting as if I haven't seen you in forever," she mused dryly.

"So many things have happened since I can back from France it feels like forever," Lucinda answered softly, a heaviness growing in her chest as she thought of Seth. But she pushed it back and squared her shoulders. Petty human emotions were the least of her worries.

"Oh my god, G your hair!" Dorian gaped as he wandered into the room, Leon following behind him.

"You like it?" Virginia beamed, showing off her wide dimpled grin.

"Well, it's definitely a statement," Leon snickered lightly. That earned him a swat on the back of his head. Courtesy of the short burst of green mist that came from Virginia's palms.

By now, the Cullen family had made their way back into the living room, able to tell from the spoken words that everything was safe. Rosalie carries Bella carefully in her arms, and silently set her back down on the make-shift bed she'd been given.

"So," Dorian clapped his hands then rubbed them together. "Any new girlfriends?"

"Nope," Virginia shook her head while popping the 'p' dramatically as she flopped onto the nearest couch. "I'm still as single as a zesty salsa Pringle."

"As a what?" Edward frowned, taking a short step forwards.

"The zesty salsa Pringle's," Dorian explained with a casual wave of his hand. "She hates those ones."

"Ah, naturally," Emmett snickered quietly.

"I like him already," Virginia grinned. Then she clapped her hands together. "Well, you clearly paged me for reasons other than my wonderful sense of humour, so how may I be of assistance?"

"We have a predicament with Edward's human mate," Carlisle stepped in carefully, his lips pulled back into a thin line. "Lucinda says you know how to handle it."

"What kind of predicament?" Virginia asked stoically, switching personalities from strange nineteen year old to the Chief of Surgery at some American hospital she'd been in the 80's.

"As I complained about many times over the phone," Lucinda began stoically, face expressionless as Leon wrapped man arm around her shoulders and pulled her into his side. "Bella and Edward got married not long ago. On the honeymoon, Bella somehow managed to become pregnant with his baby, and we believe it is killing her."

"He's not killing me," Bella snapped weakly.

Lucinda spun in Leon's grip and gestured to her sister-in-laws frail body, all deeming her healthy now nonexistent. "It's certainly not making you any stronger, my dear," she retorted bluntly. Ignoring Bella's narrowed eyes, Lucinda gestured for Virginia to step forward and began examining the obvious bulge in Bella's stomach.

Rather than staying to watch, Lucinda patted Dorian's wrist lightly as she left and walked up to her bedroom.

As soon as she opened the door, she was met with Rowena scratching at the closed window opposite to the door. The very window Seth had flung himself into while trying to get into her room. She flicked her fingers, and a short spark of purple mist shot across the room and released the latch, allowing her Raven to enter the room.

Rowena cawed softly as she settled herself on Lucinda's shoulder, lightly tapping the scroll tied around her leg against her neck.

Lucinda chewed on her bottom lip and sighed, waving a hand to untie the scroll from Rowena's ankle and hold it up for her to read.

Lucy,
I'm not entirely sure what I did to make you ignore me for the last couple weeks, but I'd really like if you would just tell me what it is so I can fix it. Because I am really confused. And I know that everything we're doing, this whole couple thing, is new for you. Well, it's something that hasn't happened in, like, 700 years if I took my notes correctly, but it's new to me too. So I think that communicating and everything would be good and helpful, don't you?
Anyway, I guess I'm just checking in. Again. But Leah said you need some space or something, which is why I haven't stopped by to see you yet, because I trust her, so yeah. Pease just write me back, or at least let me know somehow that you're okay, because I'm really worried about you.
Seth.

Lucinda closed her eyes and gently set the scroll down on her desk, biting down harshly on her bottom lip as a way of grounding herself.

There was nothing in the world she wanted more than to sit down and write him back, or go down to La Push and see him. But Bella's baby was not something she felt was her place to share, because it was a dangerous thing. And she knew that she couldn't keep anything from Seth.

So she sat in silence for a moment, allowing a total of five tears to fall from her dad blue eyes, before regaining her composure and descending the stairs, back to the living room.

A/N:
So I'm trying to stick to updating every week???

We'll see how it goes.

I also just wanted to add in that Virginia is one of my favourite characters in this story.

Hannah.