THIRTY SIX

"Is it difficult to make potions?" Bella asked from where she now practically lived on the couch, her voice faint and weak. "— and I could be completely wrong — I'm pretty sure there isn't a class where you learn how to make them."

It had been four days since Leah, Jacob and Seth had left Sam's pack to protect Bella and the rest of the Cullen's from the oncoming attack fueled solely by the thought of killing the growing fetus before it had the chance to kill any humans in the area. Surrounded by her family, who were all trying to act normal for Bella's sake, made Lucinda unreasonably happy.

Especially Having Seth around.

Everyone in the house constantly teased her for it — especially Emmett and Leon, who both loved to team up with their irritating comments — but whenever he was around, all she could do was smile. Even if she'd previously been in a horrendous mood, the moment her grey eye landed on him it all vanished, and she forgot what she had been upset about.

Leah had been seemingly happier, as well. While it was miniscule, and no one really noticed it, Lucinda had. While she didn't know what had caused it, she knew that if her friend wanted to tell her about it, then she would on her own terms. But she suspected that it had something to do with Virginia.

As soon as they had met, the two had immediately hit it off. Apparently, Leah had thought Virginia was a nomad vampire because of her incredibly pale skin, and had nearly killed her. But once everything had been sorted out, the two became close friends and were almost inseparable.

She was just glad her two friends got along so well.

Lucinda smiled faintly at Bella's question and waved her hand, a burst of purple magic billowing from her fingertips. It attached itself to the spoon she'd been using, and continued stirring when Lucinda let go. "I've never been all that good at them, Virginia was always better," she murmured, walking around the cauldron so she could stand in front of Bella. "Spells were always more my thing. But they're sort of like math; once you understand what it is you're doing, it's simple."

"Cool," Bella nodded with a light grimace as she tried to shift her position on the couch.

Almost immediately, Lucinda had her hands immediately going to the places that would be the most helpful until she was settled down. "Do you want to sleep?" She asked softly, using the back of her hand to feel Bella's forehead.

She wasn't very warm.

Bella simply nodded in response, and Lucinda frowned, but pressed her pointer and middle fingers on both hands to Bella's temples and pressed lightly. The tips of her fingers briefly glowed purple, and within seconds, she was asleep.

With a soft hum, Lucinda adjusted the blankets covering her thin and frail body, ensuring she wouldn't catch a chill and get sick. That would only worsen her already sickly state.

The door leading out to the back deck slid open and Lucinda automatically glanced in the back direction, smiling softly at Leah and Virginia as they both walked inside, little space between their arms. "Do either of you want tea?" She asked with a small yawn, arching a brow quizzically.

The two shared a look, and Leah shrugged, a small smile growing on her lips as she looked down at Virginia. Noticing that she quickly hid it, Lucinda raised her brows but said nothing. "Please," Virginia answered awkwardly, lightly bumping Leah's arm with hers. "For both of us."

Rather than questioning the odd behaviour coming from her best friends, Lucinda simply nodded and waltzed around the cauldron and over to the sling, where she filled the kettle. She waved her hand, summoning her old floral-printed tea set.

"I'm going to sleep in your room for a bit," Leah mumbled to Lucinda, her nose wrinkled in disgust at the scent of vampires wafting around the home.

"I'll send your tea up," Lucinda promised with a small nod. She watched as the tall girl walked up the stairs three at a time before she plugged the kettle into the wall and turning it on.

"The twins went into town for some groceries and more blood bags," Virginia murmured as she slid onto one of the bar stools, folding her arms in front of her. "Said that since the blood is making Bella stronger, we should stock up on as much of it as we can."

Lucinda nodded, knowing exactly what she was referring to. The previous day, after a silent sarcastic remark made by Jacob that Edward was able to hear due to his ability, the family had decided to try feeding Bella blood. The fetus wouldn't allow her to keep down any human foods, and she was falling downhill faster than anyone could process.

But much to everyone's surprise, the blood had worked. She was able to hold up her own limbs when she moved, and colour had returned to her cheeks almost instantly. Bella had even said it tasted good.

"I'm worried about her," Lucinda admitted quietly, her grey eyes drifting across the room to where Bella was still sleeping in a relatively peaceful state on the couch. "Caring for her in these past few weeks, she's...grown on me."

"How much physical pain did you feel when you said that," Virginia snickered, raking a hand through her white hair.

Lucinda let out a laugh, her head falling back slightly as her attention was turned to the now boiling kettle. "It didn't pain me at all," she sighed, pouring the water into her teapot that already contained a steeper filled with home-picked herbs. "I didn't think it would bother me this much, but if she doesn't survive the pregnancy, I think I'll miss Bella very much."

"I'm quite shocked you admitted that," Virginia smiled, tucking a strand of shoulder length behind her ear. "But I'm proud of you for it." She shifted in her seat, eyes shining with pride as she cleared her throat. "I also wanted to let you know that there's been a change of plans," she spoke carefully, clasping her hands in her lap. "I'll be staying in Forks longer than I planned. Longer than either of us planned."

"And how long is that?" Lucinda asked, perfetly masking the hope that was building in her chest.

But she could tell that Virginia already knew what she was feeling when a smile blossomed on her lips. "I'm going to be moving here permanently. Just for a little while."

To immortals like herself, Lucinda knew that just for a little while could essentially mean at least the next hundred years. She allowed the corners of her lips to twitch upwards as she poured three cups of tea, and nodded. "I'm glad to hear that."