THIRTEEN

"I'm not giving him a chance, Leon," Lucinda scoffed while changing her clothes. This was the first time she had left her room sine the training session the Cullen family had organized, and she had decided to look decent.

"Why not? You gave us a chance, didn't you?"

Lucinda rolled her eyes when he wiggled his brows. "Leon, I slept with you because I was bored, not because I loved you." She scoffed quietly. "You've heard all of this before."

Dorian chuckled quietly at the look of mock hurt on his brothers face before joining the conversation. "We're just saying, Luce, that Seth is a good kid and he deserves to be given a chance," he told her.

Lucinda let out a low snarl and stared them both down before leaving her room. "They are insufferable!" She glowered as Edward walked into the room with his pathetic human under his arm.

"Who is?" Edward asked carefully, though he knew all too well who Lucinda was talking about. She scowled at the pair, causing Bella to flinch.

"I'm not answering that question. If I do, I will not be held accountable for my actions," She muttered bitterly, allowing herself to fall into the couch next to Jasper with Alice on his other side. "It won't be my fault."

"It is difficult living with them, I will admit," Jasper consoled her while patting her arm. "You just build up and immunity to it."

"I know that all too well," Lucinda muttered while rubbing her temples. "They think I should give the mutt a chance."

"They're respectful, and Seth is one of the more polite ones," Alice spoke from the other side of her mate. "He really isn't all that bad." The look Lucinda shot her was one that could only be described as being pure disgust.

Her upper lip was curled back, revealing her somewhat darkened gums, (all dark magic came with a price), and her eyes narrowed. She clenched her jaw as she crossed her arms over her chest, and stared down at Alice angrily.

"I don't care how decent he is; he's a mutt. And all dogs have to be put down sooner or later," she scowled.

Alice grimaced slightly and looked away, avoiding her cold gaze.

"We're just trying to help you, Lucy," Emmett told her as he walked into the living room with Rosalie at his side.

Lucinda felt as if she were going to be sick. It was moments like this, when she was stuck in a room with her family and their mates, that she missed Kane more then anything else in the world.

"Sam called earlier," Edward piped in while discretely pulling Bella behind him. "He said that Seth is an absolute wreck."

Lucinda shrugged carelessly. "That isn't one of my many  issues." Esme and Carlisle shared a look. "I only came to help you protect your pathetic human," Lucinda scoffed, shooting Bella a harsh glare before refocusing her attention on Edward. "The feelings of a dog are none of my concern."

"She's right," Rosalie smiled, and Lucinda let out a sigh. She was thankful that her whole family wasn't against her.

"How is she right," Emmett scoffed. "She found her mate, she can be happier now."

Lucinda let out a quiet scoff, silencing any murmurings. Dorian and Leon grimaced from where they stood in the doorway.

"Having a mate doesn't necessarily make you happy, Emmett," Esme began, thinking back to the man she'd married as a human. "Sometimes it means the exact opposite."

"Yeah, but Seth is a good kid. He won't hurt her, and he'll take care of her," Emmett countered. The family broke into separate groups that bickered until Lucinda spoke.

"Did any of you ever think — even just for a second that maybe I don't want  to have a mate?" Lucinda stared at Carlisle, her guarded expression falling as she looked at him with desperation clear as day in her eyes. "I fell in love with a mortal once, Carlisle; I cannot do it again."

"I'm sorry," her father figure whispered. Lucinda chewed on her lower lip as a method of distracting herself from the tears building up in her bright blue eyes.

"Losing him broke me," she emphasized, clenching and unclenching her fists. "I don't think that I can love someone else that way again." Her fingers clasped around the glass vile that had hung from her neck since 1305.

"I'll learn more about what's going on," Carlisle told her gently, but Lucinda shook her head.

"I don't care what it's about; I will fight, and then I will leave."

Bella furrowed her brows in confusion, watching as Lucinda marched up the stairs. "I thought you were supposed to love your mate; especially an imprint," Bella commented with a faint frown. Rosalie rolled her eyes and followed her sister up the stairs.

"Lucinda differs from us in multiple different ways," Carlisle explained carefully. "She isn't the same species as us, and she is, much, much older."

"Along with the part where she doesn't feel anything," Emmett muttered, earning a smack on the shoulder from Alice.

"She has had to deal with all forms of heart break; maternal, friends, parents, family, significant other —" Carlisle cut himself off with a quiet sigh, and closed his eyes "— something happened that broke her heart to the point it couldn't be fixed."

"That must be awful," Bella whispered, leaning into Edwards side.

"It is," Lucinda's cold voice filled the room, her high heels clicking on the hardwood floor. She had changed her clothes — she now wore a nice pink top, blue jeans and a light, thin grey cardigan — and looked like she was going out.

"Where are you going, Lucy?" Esme asked in her motherly tone.

"To get drunk," Lucinda muttered in annoyance, slinging her purse over her arm. "All of this is too stressful."

"I'm going with her," Rosalie called, dressed in a similar attire. "I'll make sure she doesn't go home with anyone."

Dorian laughed through his nose. "It's nearly impossible to prevent that." He laughed even louder when Lucinda gave him the finger before wandering out the front door.

"Is she older than you?" Bella asked quietly, then curled in on herself and hid in Edwards side when they all laughed.

"She wasn't lying when she said she was one of the first beings to walk the planet, Bella," Alice giggled, moving to rest her head on Jasper's shoulder. "She doesn't like it, though. Says it's to lonely. She hates most people because she always outlives them. That's why she wasn't scared to join our family."

"That's because we're the first family she's had that wont die within what feels like weeks to her," Emmett countered, smiling down at his mate. "She can't lose us."

A/N

Okay real quick you guys

Thank you so much for all the reads and votes!

I know my updates are pretty random and scarce, but I'm seriously amazed by all of you, and I hope you're enjoying Lucinda's journey so far.