THIRTY ONE

^^^ Seth and Lucinda edit😊 It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the chapter, I just made it and thought it looked cute

"What do you mean Edward has created a bit of a problem?" Lucinda frowned at Alice's choice of words.

She'd woken up to the rest of her family flitting about anxiously, and Rosalie gone.

"He may have gotten Bella pregnant," Alice explained softly.

Lucinda's jaw dropped at the knowledge. She stared at her sister for a moment, eyes wide, then she burst into laughter. She doubled over, her hands on her knees to brace herself and to ensure she didn't fall to the floor.

"Has she lost it?" Jasper asked amusedly as he wandered into the room.

"There's always that possibility, huh," Alice sighed dramatically.

"I'm fine," Lucinda managed to gasp, holding a hand to her stomach. "I just can't believe Mr 'I-don't-want-to-hurt-you' got a human pregnant with a vampire baby. That is gold. There was still a shit-eating grin on her face once she'd straightened herself out, and the other two couldn't help but laugh as well.

Lucinda's happiness was quite contagious.

She opened her mouth to speak, only to be interrupted by Carlisle and Rosalie to racing in with a worried Bella and a shocked Edward. Lucinda was hastily pushed out of the way so three of them could race upstairs, while Edward stood in the doorway to the home in shock.

Then his face became emotionless. He straightened his back and walked up the stairs before briskly shoving past Lucinda and entering his room. The door slammed shut, and the home was silent again.

Lucinda made a face, her happiness diminishing. "Well that was quite rude," she muttered unhappily.

Before Alice it Jasper could say anything, Lucinda had waltzed away from them and out the back door.

•••

"Then I get shoved out of the way while Rosalie and Carlisle wisk her upstairs," Lucinda complained.

Leah made a face while taking a swig of her coffee. "What the hell?" She scoffed. Then she pursed her lips and clicked her tongue. "You should've put then in their place. Or at least made them understand that they made a mistake."

"I really should've," Lucinda sighed dramatically. She took a small sip of the martini she'd made in her moment of annoyance as soon as she'd arrived at the Clearwater's home. Her and Leah now sat at the old kitchen table big enough to seat four, drinking their preferred kinds of alcohol.

Seth was out, so that left Lucinda and Leah time to bitch and complain about everything that was bothering them.

Leah made a small choking noise. "You know, I've come to a realization that makes me feel horrible for you, but at the same time, also want to laugh so hard my stomach hurts and my heart gives out."

Lucinda quirked a brow, taking another sip of her martini through a straw she'd gotten with help from her magic. "And what would that be?"

"You get to live with a pregnant Bella."

After letting out a long line of curse words in multiple different languages — some having disappeared long ago, making the words she spoke completely unrecognizable — Lucinda downed the rest of her martini and slammed the cup back onto the kitchen counter. Then she sighed. "Hey Leah?"

"Yeah?"

"What are your thoughts on liquor shopping?"

•••

"Can we talk?"

Lucinda glanced at Edward in the reflection of her bedroom mirror, her lips pursed. "That depends on if you intend to shove me out of your way again," she muttered, continuing to gently brush the knots from her hair.

After letting out a sigh, Edward carefully made his way into her bedroom. He stayed right next to the door. Whenever Lucinda was in a bad mood, her actions were wildly unpredictable.

"I came to apologize," Edward began, clasping his hands behind his back. They sat in silence for a little while.

"I'm waiting," Lucinda muttered, setting her brush down. Then she looked a hair elastic around her thumb and three fingers — excluding her pinkey — and spilt her hair down the middle of her head and began Dutch braiding it.

"I never should have shoved you into the wall," Edward spoke up finally. "I'm not trying to use this as an excuse, but I was still in shock at finding out that Bella is pregnant and—"

"You are absolutely using that as an excuse," Lucinda cut him off as she tied off her first braid. She spun around in her makeup chair and folded her arms over her chest, lips pursed. Then she sighed. "But I understand, Edward. I understand what you're feeling. I think I have felt it more times than you could ever know. I just wish you would learn to not push me away when you're hurting."

Edward closed her bedroom door and took another few steps into her bedroom until he was standing right in front of her. Then he knelt down and gently reached out to hold on to one of her hands. "You are always going to be the person I confide in first," he promised her gently. "You still are. I haven't discussed how I feel about this with anyone — other than Jasper, who already knows — because you are the only person I trust to give me unbiased advice."

She smiled faintly at that. Then Lucinda stood up and kept her tight grip on his hand while walking over to the couch against the far wall of her bedroom.

Once they were both sitting down, she waved her hand, sending out a burst of purple light.  "So how are you feeling about all of this?" Lucinda asked him softly, clasping her hands in her lap.

Edward sighed. He opened his mouth to answer, only to be cut off by a soft knock at her bedroom door. Lucinda waved her hand again, opening to door to reveal an old floral-painted tea set.

"Sorry about that," Lucinda murmured as she offered him a sheepish smile. "I got it while I was in China a few decades ago. I tend to give better advice when I'm drinking tea."

"It's alright," Edward murmured. He ruffled his hair in exasperation, then ran both his hands down his face before finally dropping them into his lap. "I'm worried about Bella, in all truthfulness," he expressed quietly, not wanting the rest of their family to hear. "I'm worried she won't be strong enough to survive the pregnancy, and that thing will kill her."

"I'll do what I can," Lucinda told him gently. "I can't promise you any good results, but I will do everything in my power — which we both know is quite a lot — to ensure she lives, okay?"

"Thank you, Lucy," Edward whispered. He lurched forward and wrapped her in a tight hug.

Lucinda smiles softly and held onto his shoulders. "That's what family is for, isn't it?"

A/N
I'm going to try and update this more often, like maybe every Friday or something

We'll see

Hannah.