TWENTY SIX

"What do you mean you ate everything on my plate," Lucinda mused, raising a delicate brow.

Seth shot her a sheepish smile and handed Lucinda her now empty plate.

"Give him the glare, Darling," Dorian grinned as he approached them with Leon at his side. "It's terrifying." He pressed a short kiss to her temple and kept one arm wrapped around her waist.

Lucinda rolled her eyes, flipping her hair over her shoulder. "Whatever, Dorian," she snorted with a wave of her hand. "Just get me some more cake, please. I'm hungry and you seem to be in need of the exercise."

She cheekily patted Dorian's stomach, earning a loud burst of laughter from Leon, who was now sitting in the empty seat next to a very unhappy Seth. "Fine," Dorian nodded, a handsome smirk replacing his previous grin. "But only because you're beautiful when you're in power, Darling."

"Don't you forget that, either," Lucinda warned jokingly, pointing a finger at him. Dorian held his hands up in mock surrender, walking backwards for a short moment before spinning and moving through the crowd in a graceful manor.

"Is it wrong that I find you incredibly attractive when you get like this?" Leon spoke up with a wide smirk, his hands creating a pillow behind his head.

"Yes," Lucinda rolled her eyes dramatically. "Yes it is. Now go grab me some wine. If I'm going to make it through the end of this wedding, I'm going to need enough alcohol to get me drunk."

"Yes, Ma'am," Leon saluted mockingly. He stood up and straightened out the front of his jacket, then re-did the bun he had to keep his long hair away from his face.

Lucinda rolled her eyes, though she couldn't help but admire the way his body filled out the tuxedo he wore perfectly. "You know what?" She called. "Just bring me the whole bottle. It's going to be a long night."

"Will do," Leon promised. He kissed her forehead, then the tip of her nose, and wandered in the same direction his brother had to follow her orders.

Seth stood up and wrapped an arm around Lucinda's shoulder, pulling her into his side. "I swear to god I'm going to kill them both one day," he grumbled quietly. Then he reached over and fixed the shoulder of her dress that had slid down her arm slightly.

Lucinda smiled lightly at him. "You don't need to worry about them," she promised him softly. She gracefully moved out of his grip so she could face him, her hands gently cupping his cheeks. "Before I went to Alaska, when I wasn't speaking to you — which I am still very sorry about and deeply regret — they spent an entire evening trying to convince me to give you a chance."

"They did?" Seth asked, his voice full of surprise.

Lucinda smiled and smooth hair out of his face as she nodded. "They did," she confirmed. "Dorian and Leon are good people, Seth," she murmured softly, the bad of her thumb brushing over his cheekbone. "The only thing they really want is for me to be happy. And they know that you're the first person to make me this pleasant to be around in nearly seven hundred years."

"That's a long time," Seth hummed, moving his hands to they rested just above her hips.

"It is," Lucinda breathed, her smile becoming more forced as memories of Kane flooded her mind. Then she pressed a small kiss to his jaw. "I was a bitter old soul before I met you. But you allowed me to move on from my hatred of the human race and gave me a chance to properly grieve. And I thank God for you every chance I get."