THIRTY TWO

Lucinda paced bare foot back and forth across the hard wood floor of her bedroom with a small sigh.

It had been a week since Edward and Bella has come home from their honeymoon, and in her incredibly long lifetimes she had had only ever seen what was happening to Bella once.

And it hadn't ended well.

Rowena flew through her open window and landed on her makeup table with a soft caw. Lucinda sighed softly and stroked the top of her head, then removed the small scroll of paper from her ankle.

She'd told Seth time and time again that he could simply just call her on the phone — or even stop by the house if he really wanted to — but he insisted that sending messages via bird was much more romantic. She definitely agreed with him.

Are you okay? I'm thinking you've been quite busy because I haven't seen you or heard from you all week. Please answer me this time.
Seth.

Lucinda sighed and rolled it up again, gently placing it on the top of the ever growing pile.

It hurt her, having to ignore him the way she was. But she had promised Edward she would keep Bella's predicament a secret from the rest of the world, and had been lying to everyone who's been asking her where she is. But she knew she couldn't lie to him.

Not to Seth.

Not ever.

So she hadn't answered his messages or even seen him since their date, and it was killing her.

"Lucy?"

She spun on her heel to face Rosalie, who was standing quietly in the doorway of her bedroom. Of all the people who would spend their days nursing Bella while she grew weaker and weaker, Lucinda wouldn't have even considered Rosalie to be an option.

"Yeah?" Lucinda asked calmly, offering her sister a fake smile.

"The baby is shifting again," Rosalie explained with a small grimace.

Lucinda sighed.

She followed after her adoptive sister and made her way down to the living room, where Dorian and Leon were currently helping Bella move into a more comfortable with the use of an excessive amount of pillows and blankets.

"Hello, Love," Dorian mused when he noticed her walk in.

Leon immediately whirled around as well, the two of them smiling softly to themselves. "Have you talked to Seth recently?"

Lucinda's sigh was enough of an answer. "How are you feeling as of right now, Bella?" She asked softly as she sat down on the armrest of the couch.

"My back is kind of sore again," Bella mumbled tiredly. "And I've got a bit of a headache."

"Alright," Lucinda murmured softly, resting a hand against Bella's forehead. "Back pains and dehydration; I can fix that." She waved her hand, silently mixing ingredients together on her work table in her room. "Dorian," she ordered.

"Hello," he grinned, gracefully standing up off his chair and pressing a kiss to her forehead. "What can I do for you, milady?"

Lucinda rolled her eyes at his normal flirtatious manor, then returned her attention to Bella's now shivering and frail form. "Are you able to heat up some blankets for her? Just don't do it here. You could kill everyone except me and your brother. Maybe the back yard."

"I'll get right to it," Dorian nodded. He dramatically pushed Leon out of the way, earning himself an equally aggressive shove. Lucinda closed her eyes and let out a breathy laugh as he screeched before shutting the sliding door behind him.

"How is she?"

Lucinda didn't even turn to face Edward as she pressed to fingers against Bella's temples, using her magic to ease her into a light sleep. "She's in pain, but that's to be expected," she answered softly.

"But she's okay," Edward clarifies.

She inhaled sharply. "For now," she murmured softly. Then she turned to face her brother. "I didn't want to be the one to tell you this, Edward," she breathed, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "But it looks like no one else will. I don't think her body will be able to survive the pregnancy."

Before she could open her mouth to speak again, Edward was gone. She let out a small sigh and made her way back into the living room, where Leon sat on he arm chair keeping an eye on Bella.

It had become an unspoken rule that the three magical beings living the Cullens home were the ones to take care of Bella, seeing as they were the only ones who could do anything.

"Is she getting any warmer?" Lucinda asked hopefully, pressing the back of her hand against Bella's forehead.

"Not that I can see," Leon sighed. "Dorian is outside throwing things because he's bored again, but he warmed the blankets up for her."

Lucinda sighed. "Nothing we do is working, Leon," she whispered, chewing on her bottom lip worriedly. "I don't know what will happen to this family if Bella dies."

"Deep breaths, Lucy," Leon murmured. He pushed himself out of the arm chair and slowly walked over to her, pulling her in for a gentle and comforting hug. "You're doing all you can to ease her pain."

"There is always going to be one last thing I can do," Lucinda murmured, her lips pursed as she thought. Then she pulled away from Leon and snapped her fingers. "I know just what I can do to help her. It might be her only chance at survival, too."

•••

"What do you mean I have a plan," Rosalie frowned, folding her arms over her chest while Emmett wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

They had all been gathered into Lucinda's bedroom while Esme kept an eye on Bella down stairs. Lucinda was standing in the centre of her room, while the rest of her adoptive family was sitting comfortably in the seating arrangements she'd made room for ages ago.

Lucinda pursed her lips, ignoring the growing ache that was building in her chest at the sight. She wanted Seth. "I'm not saying I have a plan," she scoffed with a roll of her eyes. "I'm saying there's someone I can call who might have a plan."

"Then call them," Edward answered immediately. "Do it. Please."

"The only thing is, it won't be an enjoyable process," Lucinda grimaced. Her fingertips made their way to her throat as she swallowed the lump in her throat.

"But will she survive," Edward asked desperately.

Lucinda felt her lips form a thin line. "That depends on his strong she is."

"Then do it," Rosalie answered softly.

Leon slowly made his way over to Lucinda and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "Are you sure about this?" He murmured in her ear. Dorian nodded slowly and moved a piece of hair out of her face.

"No," she whispered back. Then she patted his chest and let out a sigh. "Alright then," Lucinda murmured. "Let me go call Virginia Whether."

A/N:
I've had this update ready for days but I've been sick and sleeping a lot and didn't know what day it was until now so I'm sorry about that, lovelies.
Hannah.