chapter || 10

• Δ | Chapter Ten ;; oblivious boys are totally the worst kind.

< Lana's P.O.V >

=

My heart was beating frantically, thudding again at my chest like it was about to break through the rib cage and jump out. My heartbeat was humming loudly in my ears and my breath hitched in my throat again and again, making me feel somewhat faint. On top of that, my thoughts were running wild as cold sweat broke on my skin, making me feel uneasy.

I wasn't exactly sober, neither was I drunk. I think I was in a mental state further than human understanding. Somewhere where only bad things happen.

I felt stupid and numb.

How could I be so stupid?

Like seriously Lana? Why did you even do that?

I shouldn't have done it.

I shouldn't have searched for Levi only to call him for that blimey game. I should have listened to Sarah when she told me to let him be. I should have known that Stacie showing so much interest in making Levi join the game was suspicious. It was because of her that I had gone looking for Levi, only to end up witnessing something that I surely never wanted to see.

As soon as I came rushing back from that room, looking shaken up and on the verge of crying, I had seen Stacie's smirk. She had known what was Levi was upto and she had wanted me to see it. It disgusted me how far she could go only to get back at me.

I huffed. I had known this would happen. But even I hadn't expected it to come so soon.

I had known that some day Levi would find out that Mars was in fact Maia Oberain. But when I saw him and Maia in that room, pushed up against each other with little to no space between them, I realised that what I felt for Levi wasn't just some random high school crush as I was pretending it to be.

It was the right opposite.

I really liked him.

Like really, really liked him.

No, honestly, I was usually true to myself about my feelings, acknowledging them even if I don't choose to act on them. So, when I shifted to this town and my friendship with Levi began, I had known that I only had eyes for him. But I never knew that I had it this bad, especially because I always thought that Levi was just a rebound crush. But seeing Levi and Maia like that felt like heartbreak, and that was no way normal for just a rebound crush.

With these thoughts running through my head, I sat down beside Sarah to play truth and dare.

In all honesty, I didn't really want to play the game, specially with so much on my head, but drunk Sarah was far more persuasive than the sober one.

So here I was, sitting between Levi and Sarah for the dumb truth and dare game as I tried to avoid letting my thoughts put loud.

More people joined in and gradually there were around twenty people sitting in a circle around the bottle.

'So, I guess there are enough people here. Let's begin the game, shall we?' Stacie said. She was, what people usually called the queen bee. Like all the other things in Hailsham, she was the cliched bitch who thought that she was better than everyone and that her branded clothes could help her steal everyone's boyfriends.

She turned the bottle around, her nails clicking against the glass, and the beer bottle finally came to rest on Melissa and Jake.

'Great. I have wanted to do this since forever, good god.' she squealed. And then continued. 'So Jakey-boy, truth or dare?' She asked, using the annoying nickname that we used to tease Jake with when we were younger. By the way Mel's eyes were shining, I knew she was totally enjoying the situation.