chapter || 12

•Δ| Chapter Twelve;; room no. 711

< Levi's P.O.V>

=

My feet thudded loudly on the hallway floor as I sprinted thought the hallway looking for the operation theatre in which Lana was being operated. My eyes skimmed over the room numbers on the door plates as I passed room after room, looking for the right one.

711.

Yes. That's it.

I came to a sudden halt in front of the glass window of the said room. My breathing was still not even as I tried to normalize my heart rate. Cold sweat broke on my skin, making my white shirt stick uncomfortably to my body. I let out a sigh of exhaustion.

Looking to the side I noticed that most of my friends were here already, occupying the black benches in the hospital corridor. And not-so-surprisingly, none of them looked good.

Jake was holding Melissa, his hand resting on loosely on Mel's back, drawing soothing circles. Jake's hair was dishevelled and Mel's make up was running down her face. Guessing by the way they looked, both of them must have come directly from the party. Emma wasn't in sight but I knew she was here somewhere. I looked towards the glass window of the operation theatre to see Macy standing in front of the glass, peering inside, her hand placed against the glass window while she stared inside without blinking.

I went forward to join her. Standing beside Macy, I finally saw Lana.

There were different kinds of tubes attached to her body with mysterious-looking liquids flowing through them. Her breathing was laboured, her chest rising and falling slowly as she took each breath. The ECG machine beeped in sync with her slow heartbeat. The hospital gown that they had dressed her in was cream and I thought how Lana would have hated the colour had she been awake. She remained still as doctors moved around the room, packing up surgical equipment from what I could see.

Lana looked different.

She looked small, a contrast to her usual character of looking tall and confident. Against the white hospital bed sheets and walls, Lana's body was the only sign of colour. She would have described herself as a smudge of paint against a blank canvas.

And she looked lifeless.

No. Not lifeless Levi.

She can't be dead.

Of course, she can't.

There's so much left for us to do. We haven't even done the most basic thing together! And that trio that she had planned for Sarah, her and I? We had to go for that too!

I felt a hand on my shoulder, breaking my chain of thought.

I turned around to see Emma with tear-stained face and bloodshot eyes, sobs still rocking her small form. I turned to face her completely.

'What happened? H-how? Where? Emma, is she gonna be alright?' I asked with what little strength I had inside me. Even asking those questions made me feel dizzy. It was so strange to just stand there and ask questions about life and death about your best friend. I felt faint.

Emma opened her mouth to answer but just then the doctor came out catching all of our's attention.

'Are any of you Lana's immediate family?' She asked. All of us shook our heads, signalling no. 'Well, are her parents here?' She asked.

'No ma'am, they will be here by tomorrow. But how is Lana's condition? Is she going to be okay? Can I talk to her? I am her best friend, Levi Thompson and her parents have told me to inform them about her condition after asking you.' I clarified, trying to be positive. As soon as I had got to know about the accident, I had called up Lana's parents to tell them about it. The sudden news hadn't got them as riled up as I had expected. But they had told me to keep them updated about her condition till they arrived.