chapter || 13

•Δ| Chapter Thirteen ;; that stupid smirk on that stupid face

< Maia's P.O.V >

=

After Levi walked out of the room with a very drunk Sarah, I finally took deep breaths and tried and miserably failed to calm my racing heart.

Twice. In the same day. So close to Levi. It was bound to result in some breathing problems.

Admitting to the fact that I, Maia Oberain, the bad girl of Hailsham High, have a soft spot for Levi Thompson, was not as easy as it seemed. With my reputation, it was easy for people to assume that I didn't care about things. But just because I chose to put things aside so as to not let anything hurt me, it doesn't mean that I simply don't care.

Levi, with all his mysterious golden aura, had me thinking about myself multiple times. I had never really had the chance to talk to him, only ever interacting if we had to do a project together or when I was on the basketball court. But even those small interactions where I barely said a word, drew me in towards him. His eyes, the darkest black, had so many secrets to share. Even the smile he was known for, the flash of white, had me wondering if he actually wanted to smile or he was doing it because he was obligated.

It surprised me how people overlooked the sadness in Levi's eyes. Maybe I was messed up and hurt which was why I could see it, bit it was still hard to believe that he had hidden it so well that you had to hurt immensely to know that Levi was hurting behind his blinding smile.

If Levi and I ever got together, it would be the most cliched unions, maybe even hilarious. But I guess we could mend each other, help each other.

But the way he had completed disregarded the fact that we were about to kiss only to run after Lana, didn't give me too much hope.

Just when all the possible thoughts about our encounters were starting to run through my mind, my phone rang. My screen lit up as Common by Zayn hummed softly.

Hazel, my best friend's name came up on the screen.

I looked at my phone, frowning a little. Lizzie and I had informed Hazel about the party, even telling her what to wear. Getting her to agree to come to the party had been difficult, but she had somehow promised to come anyway. But even after spending two hours at the party, I hadn't seen her. I wasn't surprised really, I expect her to not come. I sighed.

Hazel was the typical nerd from our trio, who liked studying over partying and dancing while Lizzie and I were total opposites of that.

However whenever she ditched us to go study, we understood. She was the balance in our trio, she kept us sane or at least tried to, while Lizzie and I, or mainly just me, ended up doing stupid things.

Before answering the call I signalled Lizzie to come outside with me. She was a bit tipsy so she nearly tripped while coming close. I held her by her elbow and moved out of the room, advancing towards the swimming pool area. Skimming through the crowd, we finally came to a comparatively silent area.

I picked up the call and put it on speaker for Lizzie to hear.

'If you have called up to give me another excuse about your absence at this party, save your breath. I'm not listening to any of your excuses and I'm so going to kill you tomorrow.' I said, quite annoyed. Yes, Lizzie and I understood, but that doesn't mean we liked the fact that our best friend was missing out on all the fun.

'Yeah. Haha, I missed the party again huh? Might have slipped my mind? But that's not important. There's something you need to know. It's really important and you might not like it so listen, I -' Hazel started but Lizzie cut her off.