Charity Work

July 28th finds me in a hospital room at 7:30am, and without Anthony because he is picking his parents up from the airport. Also, I didn't eat this morning per Mikki's request. I probably wouldn't have been able to eat anyway with the way my stomach has been in the mornings, but I'm a little hungry right now. However, Wrigley is playing with his teddy bear. I smile, but my attention is brought away from him as Mikki walks in.

I sigh, "You do know that today isn't August 11th, right?"

She nods, "I'm well aware" she then gives me a knowing look from behind her glasses, "But I'm not the one who had sex, and can't remember if they used protection or not"

I sigh, "Good point"

Mikki grabs a sanitation wipe, and wipes the area around my port, "Don't worry. You most likely conceived six days ago, so a blood test will be accurate"

I take a deep breath, "That's not the part I'm worried about"

She gives me a sad smile, "I'm sure he'll be happy"

I cringe as she sticks the needle in, and begins to draw blood, "Won't know till I tell him. If I do happen to be pregnant"

Mikki doesn't say anything as she beings to fill another vile. This one I assume for tests other than an HCG test. She then caps off that vile, and removes the needle. She pats my shoulder as she walks to the door, "I'll be back in an hour. I put these bad boys on the top of the list for testing"

I chuckle, "See you in a hour"

I hear her laugh as she closes the door. I'm left alone with Wrigley and my thoughts.I had my period, so I can't be pregnant. Right? Come on, Sam! You took Health in high school. You know full well that semen can survive up to if not longer than five days. My period was shorter than normal, and well Anthony and I did it a lot.

I look at Wrigley, who is staring at me, "What am I going to do?"

Wrigley abandons his teddy bear, and he lays under my feet. I sigh as I lean back on the examination table. I close my eyes. Might as well take a little nap since I'm gonna be here for an hour.

————————————————————

I'm awoken by a knock on the exam room door. I sit up slowly, "Come in!"

Mikki walks in with a clipboard in her hands, and I gulp nervously. Mikki pull her rolling stool out, and sit across from me. She looks at her clipboard, "Do you want the good news or the bad news first?"

I let out a unsteady breath, "Bad news cause then the good news will lift my spirits"

She nods, "Your blood creatinine level was a little high, which means that your kidneys may not be functioning quite as well as they should be. Also, your platelets are a little low"

I nod, "Are those gonna be a problem right now?"

She shakes her head, "I don't think so, but I'd like to do a couple more tests on the 11th"

I sigh, "Okay. Give me the good news"

She smiles, "I think it's good news, by you may have a different opinion"

I sigh, "Just spit it out"

She looks back at her clipboard, "You're not pregnant"

I don't expect the way that I begin to sob, "I guess that is great news"

Mikki rubs my shoulder, "You sure?"

I shake my head, "No. I'm not sure. I thought for sure that I'd be pregnant" I look up at her with my tears still streaming down my face, "The test came back negative?"