The Irrational Shepherd

According to your supervisor you abandoned 100 sheep one night and went off... (Shuffles paper) In search of one sheep?

It was 99.

What?

99. I only left 99 sheep there while I was looking for the one that wandered off.

I see. And do you think that was a good idea?

Well, yes. Not really. I mean, I just really cared about that lost sheep. I care about all of them.

Right. If you care about all of them, how would you have felt if more wandered off while you were gone?

That would have been terrible.

Jesus, a good shepherd needs to understand how to protect the flock, not just get pulled into emotional rescues of individuals.

You're right. I'm sorry. It won't happen again.

You're right it won't. I'm putting you at the fold. No more grazing watch for you. As soon as the shepherd takes the sheep out in the morning you'll be able to start hauling manure. Take it down the road to the big pile. You can stay there and sell to the farmers until noon. It's not as many hours but that's all I've got for you right now.

But the sheep...

The sheep will be well cared for, trust me.

But what if any of them need help? I'm good at helping sheep.

We don't care for sheep here. We care for flocks of sheep. We need to look at the big picture. Protect our investment.  Look, I've done all I can for you. My boss wanted you fired. This will have to do.

I see. Thank-you.

Look, Jesus if there was anything else I could do, I would. Really.

It's ok.

You're not going to head off into the pasture are you?

I don't know.

Well if you do then I won't be able to save you again. You have to work with me here.

Imagine if you were that sheep. Imagine if everyone were that sheep and could feel found just once.

I think we're done here.

Do you know why I'm sitting here with you now?

I called you in here.

Yes you did.