3

❝ Hope rises like a phoenix from the ashes of the shattered dreams

❝ Hope rises like a phoenix from the ashes of the shattered dreams. ❞ 

~S.A. Sachs

***

Anika had a sleepless night. The whole night her mind was overloaded with so many things. She was in a huge dilemma. On one side was her dream and on the other were her parents. Many things crossed her mind in that one night. She even felt that she was a burden for her parents and that's why they were in a hurry to marry her. She still had a hope that she could pursue her dream even after getting married. She hoped that whoever her husband will be, will understand her and her dreams. Last when she checked the time, it was 3:45 am before she fell asleep.

Next morning, Anika woke up to the banging on her room door. She pulled the pillow over her ears and tried sleeping.

"Anika, wake up dear. Its 9 in the morning now.", Sunita, her mom called from the other side of the door.

"Mom, its Saturday. I don't have office today. Please let me sleep.", Aanika said lazily.

"No dear, its 9 am now. Just wake up fast, get ready and come down for the breakfast. Your dad is waiting for you downstairs.", Sunita said and went back to her kitchen.

Unwillingly, Anika got up from her bed rubbing her eyes. Soon, all the yesterday's incidents started running as a flashback in her mind making her upset. She let a lone tear slip down her left cheek but controlled herself after that. 

She went downstairs after getting ready just to see her dad sitting on the dining table, busy reading the newspaper, her brother playing with his phone and her mother busy in the kitchen. It was Anish who noticed her first and gave her a small smile. Her father noticed her too. He said,

"Anika dear, come, sit and have your breakfast. We all were just waiting for you."

Anika thought for a while and immediately said, "I am not hungry. You all please have your breakfast. And mom please don't make lunch for me. I have some important work so I'll have food somewhere out itself. 

Anika didn't even wait for her parents to react and directly ran upstairs towards her room. Within a minute, she was back with her purse in her hand and hurried out of the house but her mother called her from behind and reminded,

"Come home before 5. The Sharma's are coming at 6. You'll need time to get ready."

Without replying, Anika shut the main door behind and tried her best to hold her tears back. She just kept walking and walking until she reached Vidhi's, her best friend's place. She knew Vidhi since her childhood. They were very close to each other. Anika shared everything with Vidhi. Vidhi was an average student and belonged to a very rich family. Her parents were very rich unlike Anika's, but they were very down to earth. She was a commerce student and was now going to the UK to complete her MBA. Anika felt a bit envious of her. She was getting a chance to go for abroad studies without any obstacles, unlike her. But her friendship proved to be stronger than her envy.

Watchman opened the gate for her and greeted her with a smile. She went inside and knocked on the door. Vidhi opened the door. As soon as Anika saw her, she just couldn't resist her tears. She hugged her and let all her tears drop down. Vidhi patted her back trying to soothe her. She took Anika to her bedroom and offered her a glass of water and quitely sat beside her on the bed waiting patiently for Anika to get back to normal and tell her the matter.

After a few minutes, Anika finally spoke. She narrated everything to Vidhi. Vidhi was shocked to hear this. She knew that it was hurting her friend a lot. She knew that the only dream of Anika was studying abroad and now when she is almost near that goal, she has to drop it just because of the thing called "marriage". She was confused about how to react. She said,

"Hey, Anika! Calm down girl. It's not like you can't study after getting married, right? Just talk to your to-be-husband about it. I hope he will agree!"

"But Vidhi, after marriage staying at some far away land for 2 years, away from everyone is something no one will like. But I would be satisfied even if I could continue working after my marriage. I love my parents a lot and can't go against their decision so I'll have to do this.", Anika said.

"I can understand totally. And I know you very well! You will take a thoughtful decision as always. So c'mon cheer up! Let's go out for lunch and then shopping. I have to leave for the UK and my shopping is still pending.", Vidhi chirped excitedly!

"There are still two whole months for you to go my drama queen! But still, shopping sounds great!", said Anika. Vidhi surely managed to lighten up her mood.

They had their lunch at their all-time favorite restaurant talking about various topics, even gossiping. Shopping was always the best way to kill the time and lighten the mood for both the ladies. At 5 pm Anika got a call from her mother. She was totally savoring the day, forgetting everything about the marriage and all. But she recalled everything in a go on seeing a phone call from her mother.

"Anika, where are you? Guests are coming at 6 and you are still not home! Wherever you are, just come home fast. You have to get ready as well.", her mother said from the other side of the call.

Anika was unable to say anything. She didn't want to face this situation so early.

"Can you hear me?", asked her mother.

"Ye..yes, I'll be there!", Anika answered disconnecting the call.

With that, saying goodbye to Vidhi she left straight to home, still not mentally prepared to face the guests.