22

The light ray of sunlight tickled Anika's eyes compelling her to open her eyelids and welcome the bright morning

The light ray of sunlight tickled Anika's eyes compelling her to open her eyelids and welcome the bright morning. The first thing she saw on opening her eyes was nothing but the Nirav's sleeping face and her eyes lingered all over his face admiring her man. Waking up next to him had become a part of her daily life. It was then when the reality hit her hard reminding her about the last night. She had to leave for the US in 4 days and then she will not be seeing Nirav for the next two years. Her eyes welled up with tears. While she was busy in her chain of thoughts, a sudden bang on the door of their bedroom brought her back to the present. She quickly glanced at the watch and her eyes widened in shock since it was almost 9 am. usually by this time everyone is settled at the dining table having the breakfast. The previous night was a long night for both of them with the discussions and preparation of the list of the required items she needed to carry. 

"Nirav, wake up. Its 9 in the morning. We are already late."

Nirav reluctantly opened his eyes stretching his arms and Anika's lips formed into a delicate smile adoring him. Anika quickly kissed his forehead, wishing him morning she went and opened the door to reveal her not-so-very happy mother-in-law. 

"What has happened to both of you? Its so late and you both are still sleeping? Hurry up.", Asha said. She peeped into the room and said in a bit loud voice, "And Nirav, don't you have to go for work today that you are sleeping for so long?"

"Sorry, mom. I'll take a quick shower and prepare the breakfast.", Nirav said.

"No that's okay. I have already made the breakfast. You both, just come fast. We are waiting for you outside.", Asha replied. Anika nodded and closed the door behind.

"Why aren't you dressed yet? Don't you have to go to work?", Vijay asked

Nirav simply replied in denial and continued with his breakfast. This caused everyone, including Anika to look at him in confusion. Anika opted to be quiet.

"What? Why? How will our company function if you won't go?", Vijay interrogated.

"Dad, our company doesn't need me, really. There are so many efficient people to look after it. Anyways, I am taking off for almost a week.", he cooly answered and focused his attention back to the food.

"But why? You just had one week break when you went to Hawaii.", Vijay argued.

"Because Anika is leaving for Cambridge in four days and I'll have to help her with all the preparations. Also after that, I am going to drop her there personally. So yeah, almost one week off. Then I'll get back to work.", to hi surprise, his words came out more like irritation.

Anika sat there dumbfounded not knowing about how to react. She had no idea about Nirav taking off from his work, accompanying her to the university. She even had no idea how they were supposed to tell about their decision to the elders. Asha and Vijay stared at Nirav and Anika in a shock.

"What are you saying? Why is she going all of a sudden? And you are telling us now?", Asha asked.

"She is going there to fulfill her unfinished dream which she couldn't complete because of this marriage. She is going to complete her higher studies in the next two years.", he responded.

 "What? Have you forgotten your values Nirav? Did you even ask for our permission?", Asha said furiously.

"No. Okay mom, dad, let me tell you everything from the start. Anika is a very ambitious woman, she has the full right to take the decisions of her life, to seek her happiness. It was her dream right from her childhood to complete her higher education from her dream university. While getting married, she had the admission letter in her hand, but she chose to marry me. She very well knew that you both won't ever like the idea of her pursuing higher education from some foreign university as she would have to stay away for like two years. She dropped that idea. Why? For me. She only had one wish. She wanted to work, sitting the whole day at home was never her choice. But what you did? You didn't allow her to do so. I was quiet till now, not because I agreed with you...", he blurted out.

Vijay interrupted saying, "But Nirav..."

"Please dad, let me complete first. I was quiet till now, not because I agreed with you. I was quiet because I thought you would agree. I thought you won't repeat the same mistake which you did when I wanted to accomplish my dream. But you did repeat the same thing again. And trust me, Anika didn't even ask me for letting her go to the US but I felt bad for her and I want to stand up for her and help her complete her dreams. I wish I had these guts a few years back to stand up for myself. If I had those guts back then, I would have been happy with my life now. My values teach me to respect elders, to respect their decisions. I was following those values till now. I still respect both of you a lot. Today, what I am is all because of you. But respecting your decisions now, no. I am sorry."

"We care for you that's why we don't allow.", Vijay said.

"Care? Seriously?", Nirav said laughing sarcastically.

And the conversation ended. No one spoke a word after that. Never had Nirav spoke in such a way to his parents. He always used to obey their instructions no matter what they were. Asha still wished all that conversation to become a dream, a bad dream.

 Asha still wished all that conversation to become a dream, a bad dream