30

An awkward silence filled the air

An awkward silence filled the air. George, Aaron, Anika, and Nirav were sitting in a restaurant trying to have a conversation about how to take things ahead. Back to Anika's apartment, sometime before, Nirav kept on arguing about not attending that dinner reasoning out by the fact that he was not willing to give the auditions. But Anika managed to convince him to go with her with a bit of emotional blackmail. Unwillingly Nirav accompanied Anika to the restaurant trying his best to show Anika how disappointed he was.

Nirav nervously gulped down the water not knowing how to react in such an awkward situation. Since no one was ready to hit the conversation, George started it saying,

"Well, it's so good to see you Nirav. Trust me, I was so impressed by your voice back in Hawaii but you rejected my offer then. I never thought destiny would play such a game and give us another chance to have an amazing artist like you on our team."

Suddenly becoming conscious about the surrounding, Nirav realized that he was still holding the glass of water in his. He quickly put it down. Having a quick side glance at Anika, he said, "Even I had never thought that I would ever get this chance back."

Anika snapped her head in Nirav's direction in a bit shock. She had thought he would simply reject the offer after seeing his unwillingness to give the audition. All she wanted him to do was think about his happiness. She wanted to see him happy. He has done all he could do to make others happy, but now it was time for him to be happy himself.

He averted his gaze from George to Anika and gave her a slight smile. Without even wasting a second, Anika blurted excitedly, "So when would you like to take his audition?"

Thinking for a while, George replied, "How about tomorrow? I'll call my team, I want all of them to hear the amazing voice of yours.", looking towards Nirav, he further continued, "Then we can jump to the next step. But if it's not possible for you tomorrow, then we can postpone it."

Anika thought of replying but kept quiet waiting for Nirav to say something.

"I need at least a day for preparation. So how about the day after tomorrow?", Nirav asked.

"Sounds perfect! Then, see you at our studio at 11 am the day after.", George replied with a wide smile. He stood up, saying a goodbye, he left the table.

It was only Aaron, Nirav and Anika sitting there.

"I have a few questions for you, Aaron. I hope you don't mind answering them.", Nirav said to Aaron with a stern look.

"Of course not. Ask away.", Aaron replied.

"You were such an asshole when we first met. Don't mind my language please but you only gave such an impression of yours at our first encounter. So, my question was, how did you turn into such a sweet person all of a sudden? It's illogical.", Nirav asked.

"Nirav, I told you before why he behaved in such rude manner that day.", Anika interfered.

"Anika, let me answer.", Aaron said and further continued, "Yes I know I was rude that day and I had got an detention that day due to which I couldn't meet my little sister on her birthday which made upset. That's why I was infuriated."

"Then why are you helping me? Anika told me that she saved you once from getting fired from your job and you are doing all this, as in helping me just as a payback. Seriously? I don't believe this. Tell me the real reason why are you doing all this to help us?", Nirav asked his next question.

"What did I do? I did nothing. I just contacted that band. That's it. And plus, Anika saved me from being fired. You have no idea how important this job is for me. I don't really like the idea of opening up to anyone but your doubts need to be cleared. Two years back, my parents died in a car accident leaving me and my little sister alone. It was initially tough for both of us. And this café is the only preferable earning source for me right now. There are other cafes too but then it is not possible for me to adjust my college, work and at the same time occasionally go and meet my sister. Losing this job is so not affordable for me right now. Though whatever she did for me seemed too small, it was really big for me.", by the time Aaron finished speaking, the anger in Nirav's eyes had disappeared and showed a glint of pity.

"Um... I don't know what to say on this. I am sorry I misunderstood you. I had no idea that you must be going through so much...", Nirav was cut off by Aaron.

"This. I don't like this pity and that's why I don't usually open up to anyone. I don't want anyone to look at me or my sister as if we are weak. Because we are not. Our parents died, but they sure made us that much strength to take care of ourselves.", Aaron stated.

"I am so sorry.", Nirav said.

"You know what, you are lucky to have her in your life.", Aaron said to Nirav pointing towards Anika. He further continued, "And you Anika", he looked at her, "are very lucky to have him in your life. Everyone in this world is selfish. But taking so many efforts, going against your parents to help each other accomplish each other's dreams is something which is rarely seen."

Anika placed her hand on Nirav's giving it a light squeeze making Nirav give her a slight smile with so many emotions in his eyes.

Saying a quick goodbye to Aaron, Anika and Nirav headed down the street walking towards Anika's apartment. While walking, Nirav slowly slid his hand in Anika's making her look at him with a smile. She gripped his hand more tightly and moved closer to him.

They were walking down the silent street. There was hardly anyone out there on the road. The silence was interrupted by Nirav.

"Anu."

"Hm?", Anika gazed up to look at him and stopped walking.

"I don't know what to say but seriously, thank you so much.", Nirav said staring deep into her eyes.

"Thank you for what? Calling you here for the audition?" He nodded at her and she further continued, "What you have done for me is far much than what I did. You faced your parents' anger for me, and you still are. As compared to that, I have done nothing. So don't thank me."

"But you forced me to come here. You argued with me trying to convince me to give the auditions. That argument made me realize how much I was craving for this day, how much I wanted to run away from all the boring work back there and pursue my passion, music.", Nirav said as he cupped her face in his hands and planted a kiss on her forehead.

"All I want is to see you happy.", she said.

"I know. I want to grab this opportunity. I want to give this audition. But I don't know how am I gonna face my parents about it. They are already upset with both of us and this will do nothing but make them more upset.", he said in a worried tone.

Anika took his hands in hers and looking straight into his eyes, she said, "Nirav, listen. I know hurting mom and dad is the last thing anyone would ever wish for. But we can't forever do something to make them happy. At a point, we have to think about ourselves too. Your mom and dad haven't called me ever since I left. I do call mom once in a while. Though she sounds angry, she still cares for me deep down the heart and asks me to take care of myself. See, they love us. Their anger is also temporary. I am sure when they will see you happy, they will be happy too and understand why you took this decision. But yeah, initially everything will be tough and complicated."

"Maybe you are right. I just hope they would understand." Anika gave an assuring smile on Nirav's words and they continued walking.

" Anika gave an assuring smile on Nirav's words and they continued walking