25

The flight landed bringing Anika one more step closer to her dream

The flight landed bringing Anika one more step closer to her dream. Searching for a house to stay in wasn't a big deal. Nirav had already searched for it online and made the arrangements for Anika to stay there as paying guest. The only thing was that daily Anika would have travel till the university by bus.

They booked a cab to their destination, the flat where Anika was supposed to stay. The ride was silent. Anika's eyes twinkled with amazement at the beauty of the city. There stood a small two-storeyed apartment in front of Anika. They entered through the main entrance and knocked at the very first door they found. An old lady opened the door revealing her beautifully decorated house. 

"Mrs. Thomas?", Nirav enquired.

"Yes. And you are Mr. Nirav?", the old lady asked.

"Yes. And she is my wife Anika who will be staying in your flat as a paying guest.", he replied instantly.

The lady immediately turned her gaze towards Anika and said with a smile, "Hello dear, my name is Mary. Come, your flat is upstairs. I'll guide you." Saying that she went ahead of both of them closing the door of her house shut behind and started climbing the stairs. Anika and Nirav followed her upstairs. Reaching upstairs, she knocked on a door with her fist.  Within a few seconds, the door swung open revealing a beautiful girl with black long hair, pale black eyes, and glasses adorning her face.

"Good evening Myra. I told you about the girl joining you to stay here, remember?", Mary asked. The girl nodded on this and the lady further added, "Here she is.", she pointed towards Anika, "This is Anika and she will be sharing this flat with you. And this is Nirav, her husband.", she said finally pointing towards Nirav. 

Saying a quick hello, she let them in. She introduced herslef as Myra Joseph who was from India too. She was there for her job purpose.  It was almost 10 pm by the time Anika settled down there with the help of Nirav of course. Being tired from the long flight, both of them opted to sleep. being the last to sleep next to Nirav, Anika placed her head on his chest and immediately sensed his fast beating heartbeats at her touch. She looked up at him just to find him staring down at her. He cuddled her immediately in a hug and murmured in her ear saying, "I'll seriously miss you Anu." Anika's heart brimmed over with emotions hearing that. She controlled the urge of crying and gave him a weak smile.

Next morning, standing in front of the main entrance of Harvard university, Anika was over the moon

Next morning, standing in front of the main entrance of Harvard university, Anika was over the moon. Seeing her dream come true, saying that she was happy would be an understatement. But again, you can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs. Completing her dream by going against her in-laws constantly gave her guilt pangs. She just hoped that this decision won't burn the bridges.

Being a rookie to the place, finding students' section was a bit difficult for Nirav and Anika. Anika's eyes landed on a blonde guy, leaning onto the nearby wall, busy staring at his phone. She went up to him and asked, "Excuse me, can you please guide us the way towards the students' section?"

He looked up from his phone screen with a disgusted look. He stared at Anika right from head to toe and then finally replied, "Have you gone all blind?" Clearing Anika's doubts, he pointed at the board clearly mentioning 'Students' section' opposite to him and further added, "Its right there! Those boards are meant for guiding people. So don't trouble others for such trivial things." Nirav stepped ahead on hearing his last comment and said, "Dude, what's your matter? She just asked you a simple question, there's no reason for you to react in such a way." Anika immediately pulled Nirav's arm signaling him to calm down and the blonde guy went off with a smirk on his face.

After completing the admission process, it was soon time for Nirav to fly back to India and Anika was reluctant to let him go. "You know Nirav, this wedding was a blessing in disguise for me. I got such an amazing life partner like you who can do anything for me. But sometimes I feel that I am very selfish. You are doing so much for me and what am I doing in return? Nothing."

"You are not selfish Anu. In fact, you made me realize so many things to which I was blinded until now. So don't say that again, please. I want you to be happy.", he said cupping her face.

"I have finally got a chance to complete my dream, but what about you?"

"What about me?", he questioned furrowing his eyebrows.

"About your dream? Money is not everything in this life, though I know its really important but its surely not everything. Also one should love what he or she is doing. I want you to go for your dream too. And your dream is your passion. Music.", she explained.

"It's not easy Anu. Just abort this topic, please. Will you?"

"Okay," Anika said reluctantly. She further added, "But I'll miss you the most. Also please handle mom and dad. I'll call them after a few days. I hope till then their anger would mellow down."

"You don't worry about all those things now. You just concentrate on your studies. And yes I love you and I'll miss you too."  Saying that he crashed his lips on hers astounding her. Once she gained back her senses, she kissed him back with the equal intensity. Panting heavily for the breath, they parted their lips and realized their surrounding. Anika blushed realizing few stares at them. He bid her goodbye and went down the street. She stood there staring intently at his figure till it vanished.

Nirav on the other hand, tried his best not to turn back to have a look at Anika because he knew that doing so will do nothing good but make him weak. Leaving her all alone was something he hated the most. Unknown place, unknown people, and Anika's innocence tensed him more.

 Unknown place, unknown people, and Anika's innocence tensed him more